Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble running registry backup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PICoroso

PICoroso

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

Well, I put the cart before the horse.  I found Piriform CC Cleaner on my PC which I assumed was downloaded by a recent service co. we used.  I ran the cc cleaner option and the registry cleaner option.  Today I decided to check on the Piriform software and read a forum reply here that strongly suggested against using the registry cleaner.  The software did do a backup of the registry but when I try to add the documents to the registry I get a "Cannot Import Files" error window.  I am afraid I may not be able to reboot the system now.

Edited by hamluis, 27 March 2014 - 01:43 PM.
Moved from XP to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Computer techs will often leave a Ccleaner on the desktop of a computer thev,e worked on,its a good basic cleaner.

While one click registry cleaning isnt the best way to edit or maintain the registry its unlikely you,ve done any harm.

You,ve probably lost the .reg file association,have a look here and follow the instructions to repair

http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/troubleshooting/problems-after-you-have-run-ccleaner

Best practice wihen editing the registry is to always back it up first,then you cant go wrong.

Try this

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/erunt/

Just run the exe or unzip and install,then use to backup the registry.(It will also compress the registry for performance,

(run"ntregopt") which is better than one click cleaning.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 28 March 2014 - 03:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users