Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can OS be removed with usb

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:48 AM

HI,I have question about whether the OS  on HDD can be removed when doing a backup with a flash drive as this what i would like to do with my PC is backup everything that is on PC HDD which comes to 69GB'S which i believe includes the OS,so can i buy a 64GB USB DRIVE and remove all of the data that is on HDD. 

Edited by LOVEMYPC, 27 March 2014 - 02:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:48 AM

I think the answer is a big NO.
you couldn't delete any file system that was been using OS.
but if that hardrive only attached as slave and boot to OS with another hardrive than you could removed that OS, format / repartition that hardrive will be better :wink:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:49 AM

69GB'S which i believe includes the OS,so can i buy a 64GB USB DRIVE

You can't put 69 gig on a 64 gig stick, Well you couldn't when I went to school. You will have to zip or compress files.

For a few bucks more than a 64 GB usb stick you can get a 300 Gb usb Hard Drive.

eg.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Western-Digital-Passport-250-GB-External-Hard-Drive-WDME2500TN-AUS-Stock-/121300044598?pt=AU_HardDrives&hash=item1c3e0bcb36

Edited by NickAu1, 27 March 2014 - 05:25 AM.

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:56 AM

maybe you couldnt do that when you at the school there was no compresed software but now with compresed software and you could make it rar file you could compresed it less than 60 gb

#5 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:50 AM

Well for what it is worth i have 500GB X-TERNAL HDD by WD that when i tried to transfer data from my old HDD that is about 8yrs. old to a newer SSDH HYBRID HDD to save what i may lose in the near future because of the age of old HDD,i ran into a little problem i could not transfer any data to new HDD.

I ran the WD diagnostics program and it turns out that the WD HDD has gone bad after about a year that is why i am looking at flash drives to extract data from old HDD and as far as the

difference between 69GB'S and  64GB'S i was under the impression that you could not remove OS unless you erased the HDD totally,also i thought that WINXP used up about 16GB'S TO 20GB'S of space on HDD which if you subtract that amount from the 64GB'S on flash drive then there should be enough space to put all of the data on it is my analysis of this wrong,thank's.

Now as far as WD X-TERNAL HDD it is out of warranty so now i have expensive paper weight,also flash drives are supposed to be harder to damage as compared to x-ternal HDD'S. 

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:07 AM

just copy your data not your OS as it usually doesnt work on another drive.
flash drive usually harder to damage but there was lots of generic/chinesse flash drive that have cheating on their product, just avoid that type of flash drive and cheapest price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users