Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection seems fine, but browsers will not connect

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bcgirton

bcgirton

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:36 PM

Hi,

I have two computers, both running Win 7 Pro.  One performs normally in all ways.  The other was fine until a few days ago;  we moved from a hotel WiFi network to a residential cable modem/router, and anything requiring an internet connection suddenly became very unreliable.  Browsers spin their wheels endlessly, Outlook 2010 won't connect to the Gmail IMAP servers, and so on.  The network connection is fast and stable from the other computer.  Both computers run Avast Internet Security, with weekly full scans scheduled.  Both the hotel and the residential networks have been treated as public networks. A quick scan with Avast revealed no malware on the malfunctioning computer.  The good computer is an old HP Pavillion DV7 4070us, the bad one is a newer Sony Vaio VPCSC1AFM. Nothing else has been changed recently. 

I tried Malwarebytes.  Initially, it balked at the update, but after a restart it updated its database successfully.  It froze when I tried a scan.  I ran Rkill (nothing detected) and TDSSKiller (no threats found) then Malwarebytes again (no malware found.)

I also have tried changing DNS servers, and disabling IPv6. 

I have tried the malfunctioning computer on a guest network at work, and have experienced no difficulties there.  That points to something on the residental network that isn't getting along with something on the malfunctioning computer.  I'm not knowledgable enough about how networks work to identify what the difference is between the good computer and the bad computer that is causing it to misbehave at home.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Edited by bcgirton, 27 March 2014 - 12:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users