Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mind boggling mouse problem - i have NO idea.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SpatzST

SpatzST

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:18 PM

I use a gaming mouse for.. gaming.  I noticed that my mouse started becoming jittery, i couldn't move it in any direction without the pointer "wobbling" back and forth.  OK, its taken some abuse, il get another one.  SO i bought the same mouse... seemed to work for a few hours, until it started acting strange.  I tried moving my mouse from left to right and right to left across my mousepad.  It seems that there are dead spots or something where it just decides to go up or down about 2 inches, then continue on like nothing happened.  As you can imagine, this is frustrating.  These deadspots seem to be random and happen everywhere on my mousepad...

So what did i test?

New mouse (laser), old mouse (laser), different mouse (optical), cleaned my mousepad, tried a different mousepad, tried my desk, different USB ports, I thought that maybe it was a software issue, so I reformatted.

Nothing seems to be fixing it.  My next guess is my motherboard, but would that cause this?

Any any any help, is super appreciated.

-Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

It is possible that your mouse drivers have got corrupted, so uninstall and re-install them.

If your gaming mouse came with a CD of drivers, then click 'Start - Control panel - Programs and features' and uninstall the drivers. If it uses generic Windows based drivers, then click 'Start - Control panel - System', then in the top left corner you will see 'Device manager'. Click on this, a box opens and you will see an entry for 'Mice and other pointing devices'. Click on this to expand, then double click each mouse that shows up and in the gray box that then appears click on the 'Drivers' tab and select 'Uninstall'.

Be warned that when you have uninstalled the drivers, your mouse will stop working altogether !  You will need to use the keyboard to shut the computer down. Click the 'Windows ' button and use the 'Tab' key to move around the Start menu.When you see 'shutdown' surrounded with a sort of fuzzy box it is selected, press 'Enter' and the computer will shut down. When you start up again, the drivers will be automatically re-installed.

One other thing worth a look. You say you have checked the lasers. Have you checked to see that the little light window underneath is clean ?

Chris Cosgrove

#3 SpatzST

SpatzST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

thanks for the reply.

I had tried uninstalling the "Steelseries" mouse software, which is their proprietary software for setting up the mouse.  I also did do the device manager uninstall of the mouse drivers.  I replugged the mouse in and let it install whatever default drivers it uses.

That seemed to work (and seems to still work better? not sure), but I still have an issue where my mouse will just glitch out randomly, as though its getting caught up on something, but it seems to a much less degree than it used too.

I've gone over my mousepad, and it is clean, flat, and not dusty or anything... I see nothing that should cause a glitch, but like I said before, it still happened on other mousepads too.

I am still a little perplexed.

-cg

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

I am still a little perplexed.

You are not alone, so am I !  If it wasn't for the fact that you have tried other mice, and of different types, I would point the finger at the mouse - but you have, and you have done the obvious things like re-installing the mouse drivers. I think it is very unlikely to be a motherboard problem as everything else appears to be working, or at least you don't say there are other problems. I am beginning to clutch at straws, but it might be worth running Chkdsk /r and sfc /scannow to see if there are any corrupted files,and hopefully repair them.

Click 'Start - Programs - Accessories' and RIGHT click on 'Command prompt' and select 'Run as Administrator'. type chkdsk /r (note the space between the 'k' and the '/') and press enter. You will get a message 'Can't run, volume in use. Start at next boot? Y / N?' . Type 'Y' and press 'Enter' and re-boot. Chkdsk will run at start-up and can take up to an hour to finish, so don't run it if you need the computer in a hurry.

It is the same procedure for sfc /scannow. These two between them should repair any corrupted files. Let us know if this brings any improvement.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Chic Bowdrie

Chic Bowdrie

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

Was there more than one mouse installed in Device Manager?  I have experienced erratic mouse movements which occured after a mouse installed automatically when another mouse was already installed.  Problem went away after deleting one of them from Device Manager, but I don't remember which one was the problem.  One of them was the default "HID compliant mouse."

Edited by Chic Bowdrie, 29 March 2014 - 08:41 PM.

#6 SpatzST

SpatzST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:01 AM

Hi guys thanks again for the replies. I had just done a clean install of Windows so I don't suspect any issues with corrupted files. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem again.. Maybe it just needed a few reboots :) I am going to try the other mouse again and see if I get a problem with it. And I'll retry the other mouse pad again as well. Thanks for your help. If it doesn't work, I'll be back!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users