Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista boot record wont load

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 msmithr99

msmithr99

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

Hello,

I have a compaq presario with vista basic that won't load. When starting it dosen't find the boot record and asks for a boot record.  I have tried recovery with no luck.  I have dismounted the c: drive and ran virus scan and chkdsk from another computer and nothing found.  This started with the desktop not turning on. I thought I had a bad power supply, but after resetting cmos by removing the battery and then reseating the memory stick the power returned.

One other symptom after running chkdsk I tried to change the drive with the cd command and it won't access the drive

Hope you can help

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:00 PM

Boot your Vista recovery disc and Choose Repair then once on System Recovery Option, choose command prompt. In cmd prompt type

bootrec /fixmbr <- Note the space after bootrec. Enter

This should be done while the hard drive is connected to the compaq computer itself.

Tekken

#3 msmithr99

msmithr99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:58 AM

Thanks for your reply. I was able to use your instructions. Fixmbr returned operation successful.

When i restarted the computer with the hd installed the f11 recovery option dosent work. It goes to master hard disk error press f2 to continue. Under system recovery options startup repair i get startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically. Ive attached a screen shot of the details.

Attached Files

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

Hi, is your compag laptop build with a hard drive diagnostic utility? This can be check by going to BIOS utility and or pressing Esc on early splash screen bootup of your computer. We need to check the reliability of the hard drive before proceeding any further. If there is a diagnostic test, please run the short and long test in order. Any errors caught in the short test, please reply with the posted report output.

Tekken

#5 msmithr99

msmithr99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

The compaq desktop won't let me access bios with hard drive connected.  It returns the boot error message. None of the options work. such as boot order, or setup.  When the hard drive is not installed I can access the bios menu.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:01 AM

Try using a bootable disc hard drive testing tool in DOS mode. http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Tekken

#7 msmithr99

msmithr99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:18 PM

hard drive passed all tests. I don't have another vista machine to test the HD in a different machine.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

Okay let's try this one.

Boot your Vista recovery disc and Choose Repair then once on System Recovery Option, choose command prompt. In cmd prompt type

bootrec /fixmbr <- Note the space after bootrec. Enter

Go back to the same Vista recovery disc steps and this time use this command : Bootrec /fixboot <- Note the space after Bootrec

Tekken

#9 msmithr99

msmithr99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

Vista is reporting command successful.  One thing I am noticing. I am using a vista 64 bit boot disk and this is a vista basic computer.  Could that be causing some of the issues?

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:53 PM

Just to confirm, what HP compaq presario model do you refer? Is your current Vista home basic operating system 64 bit?

Tekken

#11 msmithr99

msmithr99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:32 AM

Coa says vista home basic. Presario sr2150nx. It must be the 32 bit system

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:12 AM

Do you see any AHCI or SATA mode in your BIOS section? What happen prior to the issue at hand?

Tekken

#13 msmithr99

msmithr99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

I don't see those options

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:18 AM

What happen prior to the issue at hand?

Ok, try using system file checker this time with instructions on methods 1 and 2 from this link.

Tekken

#15 msmithr99

msmithr99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

ran the sfc procedure and get the following error "windows resource protection could not start the requested repair"  Also, I noticed the hard drive is listed as a IDE drive however it is a sata drive??? Drive type NTFS???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users