Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DriverPack Solution

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GTrius

GTrius

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

At the computer repair shop where I've recently started working, they've been using a program called DriverPack Solution to install device drivers after reinstalls. I know the program at least basically works; I've seen it. I'm also aware that it tries to install a lot of adware when it goes in, and it inexplicably changes the computer's OEM information so their logo shows up on the System screen. As I understand it, it can be prevented from doing both of these things, but because it does them in the first place, I don't trust it.

So I'm looking for opinions on it. I don't mean testimonials; like I said, I know that it works. I want to know if anyone's noticed anything strange happening after it's installed, like unusual network activity or errant CPU or GPU usage. I'd also like to know if anyone's gone through the source code. I don't really know how to read code on that kind of level myself, so even if it did anything malicious I wouldn't know what I was looking at.

The program can be found at http://drp.su/ and the source code can be found at this Google Code page. That's something else suspicious, there's no obvious link to the source code on their website.

I would love to never have to slog through manufacturer websites to find drivers again, but everything I see that might alleviate me of that need seem like this; interfaces that look like Explorer, not-quite Windows logos, and big promises.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:55 AM

I would love to never have to slog through manufacturer websites to find drivers again,

At least you know they are genuine drivers. Using software like that .... Where are the drivers from?

and it inexplicably changes the computer's OEM information so their logo shows up on the System screen

What else is it changing?

I've seen it. I'm also aware that it tries to install a lot of adware when it goes in

This seems to be the norm for a lot of freeware. Its a way for company's to make money.  And its installing what? Ask? Conduit? ........?. Some of the free software has an opt out check box but a lot of the time addaware is installed anyway.

I have never used this type of software. My personal opinion is that I dont trust this type of software.

Edited by NickAu1, 27 March 2014 - 12:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users