Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Adapter keeps disabling itself!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alex92

Alex92

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

Hello all, I am new to this place and would like to start off by having a question possibly answered :)

I have a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5061, I have had it since the start of 2010. Quite awhile. 

It works wonderful most of the time, and I know it's kinda old. However the only main problem I am having is my stupid wireless adapter keeps shutting itself off. I wanted to see if there was anything I could do at home before looking to buy a new computer, although I'm thinking it might be time soon enough. 

I have done numerous restarts of my laptop, router and all that lovely stuff. I have scanned for viruses and haven't come up with anything. I thought it was the software I was using called NetGear Genie which came with my router, but even uninstalling that doesn't help the issue. 

I would love if anyone had any input into this at all! 

My adpater is Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter.

Thank you :)

Edit: I am running windows 7- 64 bit. 

Edited by Alex92, 26 March 2014 - 05:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

Has this always been so, and if not when did it start to occur. If you restart your router
does the wireless adapter reconnect the signal, or do you have to restart the laptop.

BTW Welcome.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

Have you checked with Toshiba if there is a driver update?

#4 Alex92

Alex92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

I found out there was an update given out by Atheros. It must if been the software was out of date which is what I thought it was. I just never thought they would put out an update because I remember I checked everywhere. Never thought to check the actual Athero's update. It hasn't turned off once I installed the update. I think I fixed it. -knocks on wood.-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users