Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spare parts bank?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Codaeus

Codaeus

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

This question goes to those using Windows 2000 on an actual PC, and not via Virtualbox, VMWare, etc. Has anyone started a spare parts bank to insure that you have compatible hardware components to replace worn-out parts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

Well most people working with client computers tend to have a bone yard if that's what you're asking. Most of it gets scrapped for gold, silver, copper recovery etc.

Edited by technonymous, 10 April 2014 - 07:59 AM.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

Spare parts for old systems are sometimes hard to find if you have them on hand greate if not better start searching. Your best option IMO would be to image the server using a backup system that supports P2V (Physical to Virtual) and deploy the system in a Virtual Environment or be capable of doing so if the system fails completely. I can understand the enormous cost of upgrading licenses to support newer operating systems and hardware. However it should be brought to the attention of Management the cost of maintainting the outdated hardware and the potential loss of revenu if the system should fail compleltely. Depending on the scope of the business the downtime and repair cost outway the cost of the upgrade. There are also backup companies and Cloud hosting services that can backup the server and help with P2V. 

Acronis offers P2V solutions, Symantec Has P2V solutions. Microsoft Disk2VHD  is free. VMware Esxi5.x for free via the VMware site,VMWare converter (also free, from the same site)

Edited by Sneakycyber, 17 April 2014 - 08:12 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Codaeus

Codaeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

Spare parts for old systems are sometimes hard to find if you have them on hand greate if not better start searching. Your best option IMO would be to image the server using a backup system that supports P2V (Physical to Virtual) and deploy the system in a Virtual Environment or be capable of doing so if the system fails completely. I can understand the enormous cost of upgrading licenses to support newer operating systems and hardware. However it should be brought to the attention of Management the cost of maintainting the outdated hardware and the potential loss of revenu if the system should fail compleltely. Depending on the scope of the business the downtime and repair cost outway the cost of the upgrade. There are also backup companies and Cloud hosting services that can backup the server and help with P2V. 

Acronis offers P2V solutions, Symantec Has P2V solutions. Microsoft Disk2VHD  is free. VMware Esxi5.x for free via the VMware site,VMWare converter (also free, from the same site)

I am considering a spare parts bank for XP Pro, but wish to hear from others that have done this for Win98, or Win 2000. As mentioned, I have no interest in virtual stuff. Maybe in a few years when more tech savvy...for now I got enough on my plate.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

I am considering a spare parts bank for XP Pro, but wish to hear from others that have done this for Win98, or Win 2000. As mentioned, I have no interest in virtual stuff. Maybe in a few years when more tech savvy...for now I got enough on my plate.

The most ones you want is sound card, nic card, video cards, memory, cpu's, motherboards. Which pretty much makes up the entire system. I lost count how many times I couldn't find a driver for a specific sound, nic card. This is why many places would charge a fee to use their online database like driversguide.com if they are still around.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:22 AM

I completely understand the virtual server option. 98% of the networks we manage (and the one I Administer for) are all physical. I have loaded an acrois true image file in virtualbox to recover/upgrade QuickBooks and quicken database files but that's about it. I am currently re-designing/upgrading our network backups. The backup exec 2003 (missing all but 1 update) system in inherited for 12 servers was so UN reliable we deployed external USB hard drives on our critical servers. That being said virtual server failover is a feature I am looking into.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 20 April 2014 - 05:23 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 Codaeus

Codaeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

The most ones you want is sound card, nic card, video cards, memory, cpu's, motherboards. Which pretty much makes up the entire system. I lost count how many times I couldn't find a driver for a specific sound, nic card. This is why many places would charge a fee to use their online database like driversguide.com if they are still around.

Good to know. Thanks. While researching this, I found some question about shelf-life of spare parts. Any tips on how to best store components for maximum shelf life. For example, do they need to be vacuum packed?

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:45 PM

Good to know. Thanks. While researching this, I found some question about shelf-life of spare parts. Any tips on how to best store components for maximum shelf life. For example, do they need to be vacuum packed?

Just a anti static bag is needed and rubber band them. Store the larger motherboards vertical like on a bookshelf. Unless you have orignal packaging. Remember moving something very cold into a warmer area will cause moisture. Store items in a normal room temp. Technology moves very quickly in the computer world & parts age fast. Something new is always coming out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users