Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loud "chirp" and buzzing noise when using USB powered headphones.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stubbula

Stubbula

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

I wasn't sure if I should post here or in external, but the problem is with something internal that causes external problems.

My friend has a pair of Turtle Beach X12 headphones that are USB powered and gets a lot of noise in his headphones. Much louder and a lot more than you would expect from USB powered headphones. Music and sound does drown it out, but it is still quite noticeable. However, when he plays games it mostly goes away (which is strange). He recently built a new computer and this is when the problem started.

Hardware:

630W power supply, ASUS Radeon HD 7770, AMD-FX 6300 processor, ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX R 2.0, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Fx, Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD and running on Windows 7.

*The sound card and HDD came from the old computer since they were quite new.

Steps Taken:

We checked the power management settings, checked multiple USB ports front/back, removed peripherals, used the on-board sound and sound card, turned system volume to max and controlled volume via the headset, tidied up his cable management (it was very sloppy), ensured the HDD was secure, ensured all screws and connections going to his motherboard were tight, replaced SATA cables, had him plug the USB into an AC power adapter and, upon doing the final step, the noise was gone. Upon seeing the problem was gone by using a separate power supply; I can assume all the feedback is coming from something in the computer. What do you think would be causing all the noise in his headphones? I am truly at a loss at this point.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

Hi,

My first guess would be the power supply.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

I have the same issue with my Turtle beaches, when using them with xbox if I plug in my controller to the console to charge it, I get the buzzing and noise, even when plugged into the tv USB for power.

The same thing happens with my PC, I think its just an inherent issue with the non-isolated USB powered headphones, the better ones (like logitech or steelseries powered) have extensive filtering in the attached USB power supply. Id be willing to bet this happens on almost any computer, or laptop when it is plugged in.

The higher end power supplies may have some more filtering, but youll most likely never be able to get rid of all the noise, its probably a ground loop feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users