Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

buy new pc with Win7 or update old pc that has XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 walkerstoo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

which would be best choice? purchase new pc or go the expense and effort to update old pc  (Dell XPS 410)?

any help, idea appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,063 posts
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

You can download the Windows 7 upgrade advisor and see what items if any need to be upgraded. Usually a computer that runs XP will have a hard time running Windows 7 but I think your computer would be capable of easily running Windows 7.

#3 OldPhil

• Members
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

If you do not game you have decent very well made machine fine for 7, up the ram to 4g and spring for a new HD.  I am pretty sure you will be just fine.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

Hi walkerstoo

Welcome to BC.................I had a HP compaq with Windows XP & I was having the same dilemma only it was not really in the budget to purchase a new computer or upgrade mine,,,,not to mention the time ,effort & know how to do the upgrade......

It was suggested to me(here,of course)to look into purshasing a refurbished computer with Windows 7......& I did just that & I am thrilled!I went to Walmart online & ordered exactly what I was looking for,I do not like to make purchases online so I paid for & had it sent to my local Walmart,it arrived quickly,they opened the box to make sure everything looked good & I have a 12 month warranty.......

There was so much to choose from & they have great prices,I am more than satisfied & would highly recommend looking into this option  ........hope this helps

Edited by newbleeping, 26 March 2014 - 08:42 PM.

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,067 posts
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

If this computer is as built, it has a 640 Gb hard drive which, while not huge, is bigger than that in many laptops and it is specified with 2Gb of DDR3 RAM. This is enough to run Win 7, but it would be better to increase this to 4 Gb. My favourite charity - correction - my local computer and parts supplier sells 4 Gb sticks of Kingston DDR3 RAM for £UK 34 ( €40, $US 50, approx ). That, plus the cost of a copy of Win 7 is all you need to buy.

However, if you go this route, there is no upgrade path from XP to Win 7, you are doing a complete install and the first step it takes is to format the hard drive. You will need to back up ALL your data before you start and anything else you wish to keep.

So your choice is £ 34 plus the cost of a copy of Win 7 plus probably a weekend doing the install, re-installing all your applications and putting your data back where it belongs OR the price of a new or refurbished computer.

The same charity mentioned above will supply a new desktop tower complete with Win 7 for from £UK 300 up. You would still have to install your applications and transfer over your data, but that would apply to any computer, new or refurbished.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users