Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help selecting which file to actually download to get puppy 5.6

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

I've tried following all the links..but they all seem to end in a ftp list of a dozen or so files to download. Do I need all of these or just a couple?

What's the PAE business? Do I get it or not?

cnet offers slacko-5.3.1-SCSI-MAIN.iso

Will this work to create an iso on a cd?

the ftp site offers other "slacko" titles: slacko-5.6-PAE.iso or slacko-5.6-4G-NON-PAE.iso

What's the difference?

I understand the differences in the version numbers otherwise, I'm confused about which to use.

Here is a link to the large list I get to:

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-5.6/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,953 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

see if this helps

http://www.ehow.com/info_8405314_define-32bit-operating-system.html

i would download the pae version

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:56 PM

PAE very short: something extra built into your kernel to enable a suitable processor and motherboard to handle more than 3.x GB RAM.

How much ram have you got?

#4 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for the info. I've got 2gb ram on a 32 bit version of XP Pro. I ended up trying the 5.3 version of Puppy they had at cnet.com, because I wasn't sure about the PAE thing. I got it on the CD fine and it ran fine. No luck with it finding the (bad) internal modem or the USB 56K external either. I tried it in different usb ports too. Not sure if it's because it was a cheap modem or maybe a newer version of Puppy might have some improved modem recognition. I got the USB modem from Amazon; I'll look through the comments about how it works with Linux. I'll try the newer Puppy version next. Is Puppy the only distro sort of built (originally) for dial up modems? Can I assume that if Puppy won't find the modem that the other distros won't wither?

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,678 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:31 AM

Can I assume that if Puppy won't find the modem that the other distros won't wither?

No Idea.

New Long-Term-Supported Puppy

You need 1 of these Retro Puppies as they support Older stuff.

Download the RETRO precise-5.7.1-retro.iso here or there, size = 201 MB, md5sum = 8c1d7db20a055fe847ed954fc246e078. NOTE: This has additional drivers, including analog modem drivers, and has Opera as additional browser.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precise-5.7.1/precise-5.7.1-retro.iso

This is a good puppy for Ex Windowsites. It has everything in it.

https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_precise-5.7.1-retro-fatty-2014-jan-csipesz

As with all puppies the first thing to do after install is to update the Puppy Package Manager, By launching it select configure and then hit the update .... Click yes to everything. This way you get access to the latest firefox etc.

Edited by NickAu1, 27 March 2014 - 04:57 AM.

#6 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

Update:

I was able to burn and run the 571 puppy.

I really like the bold look of the screen and the icons especially. (That's one thing I despise on my desktop with Win 8...the terrible pastel colors).

So...sometimes when I bootup it initially 'sees' a dial-up modem (on the ~0 spot", the topmost of the selections to "manually" 'Choose' from...but then when I try to use it by clicking the 'Connect' to the internet icon, it says 'No modem detected, you cannot dial up' or something similar.

It does seem to recognize my wi-fi modem..which is good.

I'm thinking the problem is the cheap USB 56k modem. Which I might be able to get to work after some time, but now I'm thinking I'm going to try to replace the internal modem in my Dell D620 notebook. I'm not very confident that that is all that's needed to get it back where I don't need the external 56k to dial up, but it's worth a try. If it works I'll be very happy just to get it working for when I might need it.

FWIW, the USB modem is rather quirky about being recognized by the XP as it is. It seems to only run right when it is detached from the machine before a shut down...and attached to the machine after it's booted up.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,678 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

It does seem to recognize my wi-fi modem..which is good.

Cool so it can connect via WiFi? That's good.

Next Problem.

So...sometimes when I bootup it initially 'sees' a dial-up modem (on the ~0 spot", the topmost of the selections to "manually" 'Choose' from...but then when I try to use it by clicking the 'Connect' to the internet icon, it says 'No modem detected, you cannot dial up' or something similar.

Try  pup dial see instructions. I have never set  up pup dial so I do not know how.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PupDial

Edited by NickAu1, 29 March 2014 - 01:40 AM.

#8 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:09 AM

I did finally get the modem recognized and the dial-up is now working fine. I did need to set the modem into "Stupid Mode" in order to actually complete the connection with the ISP.

The Precise Puppy iso does include a few programs to get started with....but that fatty iso would really be nice to have. I've started downloading it but it's so large I wish I could find it for sale somewhere.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,678 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:21 AM

I did finally get the modem recognized and the dial-up is now working fine. I did need to set the modem into "Stupid Mode" in order to actually complete the connection with the ISP.

Great to hear that. I gather you like puppy?

As far as I know you cant buy Fatty. But you could go to a internet cafe or public library with a 6 gig usb stick and download it that way.

Or go to a pc shop and throw them a few bucks to download it.

Edited by NickAu1, 08 April 2014 - 04:22 AM.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:07 AM

The Precise Puppy iso does include a few programs to get started with....but that fatty iso would really be nice to have. I've started downloading it but it's so large I wish I could find it for sale somewhere.

I know what you mean, that "fatty" version is larger than any Windows home OS. 3.7-3.8GB is a huge download, especially on a slow or metered connection. Which is why I didn't go for it. Already download a lot as it is, I'm not exactly capped, but my ISP frowns on those who goes over 250GB/month. That was a recent imposement.

No need for me to grab something that huge & not use it but a few times, if that. Puppy is good & has a following, it's just that me personally, prefers a more full fledged OS. Those runs in Live mode just as good, though many of the newer ones won't run on non-PAE machines.

Here's a small, 64 bit version of Puppy, "FatDog64-630" that interests me, a much smaller download, plus I prefer 64 bit in general. Except for the one old Thinkpad T42, all of my computers are 64 bit with 8GB or more RAM.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91937

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,678 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:15 AM

You know you can build your own Puppy . Keep the 5.7.1 or  as Cat suggests FatDog64-630 and add the stuff you want to it thru PPM. You can also re master a puppy with all the bits you want then burn it to CD so it can be live booted . Or for that matter you can remove stuff to make it "Slimmer"

Seen this yet?

BrowserLinux 501

http://www.browserlinux.com/

93 Meg. Just update the browser and flash.

Just remember this LOL This is Linux and the answer to any question Like can I do this or change that? is yes. Unlike Windows.

Infact the Linux community encourages this, Unlike Windows.

Edited by NickAu1, 10 April 2014 - 12:24 AM.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:34 AM

Yes, (most of) the Linux communty welcomes all input, if one finds a fix or patch for something, or to make it better, do it & pass it along to others. Artists are also encouraged to participate.

Except for proprietary (non-free) software, that is. Meaning that one cannot bundle Adobe Reader & other copyright protected software into a distro.

Looking back at it, I would have no use for all that's on a 3.8GB Puppy OS, but do have 3 smaller versions. Fits nice on a 1GB SDHC card. Just got through downloading FatDog64-630, will have to check that one out, it'll be my 1st 64 bit version of Puppy.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

I was curious to see how Puppy would run on my much faster desktop with 8GB of ram. It's very fast and much more fun to use than Win 8 (which I shouldn't have wasted my money on, especially after using Linux for just a little while now).

I'm slowly getting used to how Linux is actually used on a daily basis. I'm finding that you really don't learn by reading one article here or there, but moreso by gradually adding bits of info together in your head which eventually fit together and you 'get it' (in small doses).

I did have a few questions before I start playing with new distributions or adding to the ones I now have (Precise Puppy).

1. Would something like the 64bit FatDog be better to use on my Desktop (with it's additional Ram)?

2. What would happen if theoretically I do get the huge Fatty Precise Puppy. How would I use that since I have the Precise Puppy already loaded? Would they conflict? Would I be better starting over with the Fatty Precise Puppy? I'm not sure how that would go. If I 'start over' what do I do with the existing Puppy info on my hard drive?

Thanks for all the help, I'm trying to not ask too many questions but even with all the questions and answers here in this forum, it's not all that easy to get the answer to a specific question. 

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:41 PM

1. Would something like the 64bit FatDog be better to use on my Desktop (with it's additional Ram)?

Let me tell you, FatDog 64 bit is Fast!

I tried it out some today, didn't have much time to spend with it, but it was on a mid-level hardware notebook (Toshiba Satellite A665-S6086) with an i3-370M & 8GB DDR3 RAM. CPU isn't the performance of an i5 or i7, but plenty faster than the Celeron & Pentium. To be honest, I didn't expect much, but FatDog has more eye candy than Precise does & screams on a 1GB SC card attached to a USB card reader (it wouldn't boot direct from the built in SD card slot). Maybe that's not considered to be a bootable port.

The thing is though, I need to spend more time with it. It's installed to the SD card via Unetbootin, I created a persistence space to save changes, but ran it 2 times & nothing was saved. I either installed it wrong or didn't setup something right.

Would have played with it more, but had to file taxes today :-( 

Cat

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,678 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:33 AM

2. What would happen if theoretically I do get the huge Fatty Precise Puppy. How would I use that since I have the Precise Puppy already loaded? Would they conflict? Would I be better starting over with the Fatty Precise Puppy? I'm not sure how that would go. If I 'start over' what do I do with the existing Puppy info on my hard drive?

Create another partition on HDD and Dual Boot. And there will be no problems.

OR

I was curious to see how Puppy would run on my much faster desktop with 8GB of ram. It's very fast and much more fun to use than Win 8

Install it to USB and try it that way.

desktop with 8GB of ram.

I can never see a situation where you will need that much ram.

It's very fast and much more fun to use than Win 8

(which I shouldn't have wasted my money on, especially after using Linux for just a little while now)

Glad you are learning. Now if only we could convince others that linux is not this big bad geek only os.

Also remember Puppy is 1 of the harder Distros to master so you are doing great.

On that desktop May I suggest you try Kubuntu its what I run, As Austin Powers once said ... Yeah Baby.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download

http://youtu.be/B0q2whEF4dY

Welcome to Linux, You are officially a GEEK IN TRAINING.

I created a persistence space to save changes, but ran it 2 times & nothing was saved. I either installed it wrong or didn't setup something right.

After you Install puppy, Shut the Pc down and puppy will ask you to create a save file, select yes then go thru the process of creating a save file.

http://youtu.be/u5L58SxEqdE

I know what you mean, that "fatty" version is larger than any Windows home OS. 3.7-3.8GB is a huge download,

Yes it is. But. Remember this it has everything pre installed so you most likley will not have to add anything to it ever

@ brian2009

Try this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_odkw=Linux&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H1.Xkubuntu&_nkw=kubuntu&_sacat=0

Edited by NickAu1, 11 April 2014 - 02:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users