Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand New Stock Desktop PC

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ewallace978

ewallace978

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

With my current desktop approching 7 years old and running Windows XP which will go unsupported next month I decided to bite the bullit and order a new PC.  I didn't have the means to customize it at the time of purchase, but there is at least one thing I would like to do when I get it and that is install a SSD for the OS.

The PC will have Windows 8 Preinstalled on a 1TB HDD, so I'm looking for advice on the brand, type and size of the SSD I should buy.  My budget for the SSD is about $150 dollars but might spend as much as $200 if i found a good deal.

I mainly use my PC for my online business, but also for watching videos and some gaming too and will have Dual Monitors connected as well.

What are the things you should do with a brand new PC?

TIA

Here are the basic Specs:

• Includes XPS 8700 desktop PC, AC adapter, and manual
  • 3.4GHz 4th-generation Intel Core i7-4770 processor with 8MB cache, up to 3.9GHz
  • 12GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
  • 1TB 7200 RPM hard drive
  • DVD+/-RW drive
  • Wireless-N Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth wireless technology
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 graphics with 1GB graphics memory
  • Waves MaxxAudio
  • Dell USB multimedia wired keyboard
  • Dell laser wired mouse
  • 10/100/1000 gigabit ethernet
  • 19-in-1 media card reader
  • Six USB 3.0 ports
  • Four USB 2.0 ports
  • HDMI, DisplayPort, RJ-45 ports
  • 7.1 surround sound audio/line-in jacks
  • Microphone/headphone jacks
  • Windows 8.1
  • Measures approximately 7-1/4"W x 17-1/2"D x 16"H; weighs 30.42 lbs
  • UL listed adapter; 1-year hardware Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
  • Imported

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

I personally have a Samsung 830 series, I have had 0 issues with mine, its super fast and reliable thus far, the newer 840 series is even better.

Seagate has good SSD's as well.

Bide your time, week to week the prices have been fluctuating a TON lately. This week you should be able to find a 256GB for around your 150 price point

Also I know people are going to yell and scream at me about this but you don't need the fastest of the fast, ANY SSD is going to be faster than the HDD that you have there. Look at reliability and size AS WELL AS speed, looking at speed alone you can find yourself spending 150 on a 64GB that will run 15% faster than the 256 for the same price. The difference would never be noticeable, itd be like buying a Bugatti over a Lamborghini for the 10MPH difference in top speed that you will never go.

#3 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

I too run a Samsung SSD (250GB 840 series) and fully recommend it, and I've also had really good service from Plextor and Kingston SSDs. There is a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB for sale on Newegg as we speak for $149.99.  Bigger is better with SSDs, and not just capacity-wise.  The larger the SSD the better its performance.  You can clone the HDD to the SSD then use the HDD for storage.  It's simple, and free utilities (like EASEUS) are available on line.

By the way, that's a nice looking system.

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#4 ewallace978

ewallace978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.  I was thinking of a 250gb would be the way to go.  I've noticed when looking at listing for drives there seem to be 2 types.  The fully enclosed type and then the exposed type. Can any one explain the difference.  i image its about cooling the drive?

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/sandisk-ultra-plus-256gb-2-5-sata-iii-solid-state-drive-ssd/240501580.html

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/samsung-840-evo-mz-mte250bw-250gb-sata-internal-solid-state-drive-ssd/260477539.html

There are a couple examples of drives I was looking at.

#5 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.  I was thinking of a 250gb would be the way to go.  I've noticed when looking at listing for drives there seem to be 2 types.  The fully enclosed type and then the exposed type. Can any one explain the difference.  i image its about cooling the drive?

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/sandisk-ultra-plus-256gb-2-5-sata-iii-solid-state-drive-ssd/240501580.html

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/samsung-840-evo-mz-mte250bw-250gb-sata-internal-solid-state-drive-ssd/260477539.html

There are a couple examples of drives I was looking at.

Here's another option, just to confuse things.  The Samsung Evos have a good reputation and are VERY fast.

Go for the ones in the enclosure.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147248

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#6 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:54 PM

Seagate has been very well known to have unreliable SSDs and HDDs, would go for Western Digital or Samsung for SSD.

mYIGVc5.png

#7 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

i use a samsung 250 and a kingston ssd - -the samsung handles the OS and the kingston (same capacity) my everyday applications (lighroom, photoshop, bridge, occasional gaming). whoever said the brand is sort of irrelevent had a point... as long as you stay away from the total no-namers, you should be safe (and you'll love the speed difference).

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#8 ewallace978

ewallace978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3W1726/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's what I just ordered.  It's the Samsung EVO 840 250GB.  Seemed like a good deal and from what everyone has posted the Samsung Drives are reliable.

Thanks every one.

Any other tips for a new computer?  Any thing you would have done differently with yours out of the box when you got it? 

#9 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

You got a great price on that Samsung, I think you'll be very happy with it (I'm biased, of course).

Have you used Windows 8.1 yet?  I really like it but I'm not a purist so I purchased Start8 from Stardock (for five bucks) because I prefer the traditional Win7 style start menu on my desktop computer:  http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

#10 ewallace978

ewallace978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

I haven't used Win8, so I'll keep in mind the program you mentioned

#11 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:19 PM

Windows 8 and Windows 7 preferences are really more based off what you prefer individually. The Windows 8 OS is a horrible desktop OS, but it does boast better resource handling, and will be faster than Windows 7 on the same spec computer.

Are you caching your Intel and HDD together? What it is:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/How-it-Works-Intel-SSD-Caching-148/

mYIGVc5.png

#12 ewallace978

ewallace978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

I just got my new PC today and haven't taken it out of the box yet.  It actually came earlier then expected.  The SSD is scheduled to be delivered Sunday so I'll do the install then.  I'll look into caching as you posted.  I've done updates to my previous PC's but as I originally posted it's a XP system 7 years old so I'll be doing a lot of reading and research on Win8 and SSD.

Any advice is appreciated

#13 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:02 PM

I just got my new PC today and haven't taken it out of the box yet.  It actually came earlier then expected.  The SSD is scheduled to be delivered Sunday so I'll do the install then.  I'll look into caching as you posted.  I've done updates to my previous PC's but as I originally posted it's a XP system 7 years old so I'll be doing a lot of reading and research on Win8 and SSD.

Any advice is appreciated

Basically, to do a quick sum up of the site, SSD caching with HDD, is basically where you install your OS into the SSD, and leave your documents, etc, to be stored in your HDD. If you had your OS and documents installed on the one HDD, reading and writing will slow down, especially when you're transferring large files. If you think about it logically, the HDD has a moving needle, that moves to read and write data very quickly. You could imagine if you were backing up or copying large files, exceeding 10GB, how intensive it would be working. Coupled with the fact that you want to do other work, whilst it is working, you would obviously not want lag.

To make this work, there's this thing called "Intel Smart Response Technology", there is a program for this, and you can see information on the site I provided before. 

The Windows XP jump to a Windows 8 may be a daunting prospect, as they are quite different, whilst also somewhat similar, in both appearance and also background. However, Windows has designed 7 and 8 to be both very easily maneuverable operating systems. 

mYIGVc5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users