Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows 7 Live Update Shut Down

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Joek9100

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

My computer was shut down while it was updating during a windows live update.  Almost none of the programs work now because the WININET.dll file is missing "try re-installing the program." I tried doing a system restore but every time I do it says:

"System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

Details: System Restore failed to extract the file (C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer \en-US\eula.rtf) from the restore point.

The restore point was damaged or was deleted during the restore.

You can try a System Restore again and choose a different restore point. IF you continue to see this error, you can try an advanced recovery method."

Do I have to do a factory reset and if so how can I keep my antivirus and other certain files so I don't lose them?  My laptop came with Windows 7 installed on it, will I need to back that up too?

Please help and thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,067 posts
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

Probably the simplest thing for you to do is create a Windows repair disc assuming you have access to another computer. You can get instructions here :-

Note that the disc comes in two flavours - 32 bit and 64 bit - and you need the correct one for your operating system. The tutorial includes instructions on how to use it.

If it doesn't solve your problem you do at least have the option of doing a factory restore. If you do finish up going this route, you need to be aware that this will wipe everything off your hard drive and restore it to the condition it was in when it came out of the factory. This means that you WILL have to re-install all your applications, including your A/V, but more importantly, before you start this process you will need to back up your data - your work, music, photos and so on.

How you back up your data depends on two factors - how much you have, and how much functionality you have on this computer. You can use a USB memory stick for data up to about 64 Gb, I think they go that big. For more than that you will need an external hard drive. If Windows Explorer is working, then use that to copy data to whatever external media you decide to use. If Windows Explorer isn't working, then probably the simplest thing to do is to create a bootable Puppy Linux CD and use that to move your data. you can get information and instructions on how to create and use a Puppy CD here :-

I have used the Puppy method several times and it works very well. Once you have backed up your data, then you are free to go and use the recovery partition to completely re-install Windows. As for your final point - all you need to back up is your own data. Recovery will re-install Windows and you will then have to re-install your applications and finally put your data back where it belongs.

When backing up data there are one or two things that tend to get forgotten, I know - I have forgotten them on occasions. Back up your e-mail contact list and back up your bookmarks and include them both with your data, and if you have any licensed software that you downloaded, save a note of any registration / activation serials needed or else you are likely to be asked to pay for it again !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 OldPhil

• Members
  • 3,898 posts
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:25 PM

Hang on the have been several posts on this issue!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users