Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Faulty USB ports???

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 judyjht

judyjht

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

I have a desktop (custom) with XP Professional that has one USB in the back and 2 on the top of the tower.  Recently, I had noticed that when I plug something in (IPhone or IPad, for instance) sometimes it recognizes it and sometimes not.  Sometimes it does not work at all and I give up. 

The other day the desktop was working fine and I wanted to sync my phone with contacts & calendars but the INSTANT I plugged it into the USB port - the screen went black (not blue) but the motor was still running.  I immediately unplugged the phone.  The picture never popped back so I had to manually turn off the computer and restart it.  Everything is fine but...........I don't want to do it again.  Is the a simple way to replace the 2 USB ports on the top.  I have replaced the hard drive and a few other things so I think I could do it.  Thoughts?

Any thoughts on why the screen went black?  I have since made an image - which I do regularly anyway just for safety purposes.  I am running XP Professional - I know - I know.  I don't really want to switch because I would have to do the same thing on my laptop - which is an exact duplicate of the desktop for when I travel.  I can't have 7 or 8 and then have XP on the laptop.

Anyway, what do you think about the USB ports??

Edited by judyjht, 26 March 2014 - 02:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

does you mean USB port that attached on computer case and not your onboard USB port on Mainboard?
if yes you could replace it, its quite cheap but the problem only where you could buy it and how to disassemble it from computer case :wink:

*almost forget
if you could disassemble that USB port from computer case, please check does any burn sign on it or not? if you dont see any burn sign maybe the problem because some foot loose they solder, soldering that foot could fix that except it was get burn

Edited by abauw, 26 March 2014 - 04:26 PM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users