Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Issue?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 yeeha

yeeha

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:56 AM

I've been having some issues with computer and I'm not sure what the heck is going on. I'm a pogo player and have freeze issues with a few of the games. I also use sun java and have issues when I open the control panel, it will stretch my screen and then you have to guess where you are clicking to try to close it. I have to ctrl+alt+del to try to get it back to normal sometimes it'll take one time others takes multiple times to make it stop. I dont know how to give you my sys specs or I would include them here. The screen streching also occurs on occasional visits to other web pages, seems to do it only when it feels like it. I'm saving money for a 500W power supply & a new vid card. But I would like to solve this issue before if the vid card or ps isn't the issue. Thank you in advance for any assistance. I forgot to say that when it freezes my cpu usage history says cpu usage is 100%.

Edited by yeeha, 17 May 2006 - 10:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:20 PM

what is it that is using 100% of the cpu?
what procesws?
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 yeeha

yeeha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:21 AM

Well, oddly enough it's the task manager, it was using from 43% to 74%. When it reached the 74% marker my computer is freezing, IE was using 3%-20% and system was using some also. I'm going to monitor it today better the try to figure it out. but if you have any suggestion please pass them along to me.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:37 AM

Just to be safe, I'd run ADAWARE, EWIDO, and CCLEANER just to be safe.

The symptoms that you're describing are similar to ones that are caused by malware.

Of course, this may or may not fix your problem. If it doesn't, please post back and let us know so we can continue to help you work this out!

Edited by stevealmighty, 18 May 2006 - 07:41 AM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 yeeha

yeeha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:21 AM

I searched Microsoft.com last night and came up with: http://safety.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm I ran the full system scan and came up with alot of problems which should have been fixed. We shall see.....I use avast anti-virus and I use Windows Defender. If you think I still need to run the other programs I will. Thank you for all your help.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:59 AM

I would run the other programs just to be safe. They are free, and will only cost you a little bit of your time. What one program misses, the other(s) might catch. Layered protection is the best prevention!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 yeeha

yeeha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:41 PM

I have ran the other three programs and will monitor computer over the weekend. I'll check back in Monday afternoon, keeping fingers crossed that it fixed whatever is wrong. So far today I haven't had the screen stretching thing happen so thats a plus.

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:47 PM

Agreed! Let's hope that running these programs, along with what you've already done will solve this problem for you!

Let us know how you make out with this dilema!

Thanks for keeping us posted!
Posted Image

#9 yeeha

yeeha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:21 AM

Well the problem has not stopped, still random freezing. I dont know much about event viewer but there are some application hangs (sent to MS and of course they have no clue) and there are several warnings under the system which i have no clue what to do about. Feeling really really Blonde! What can you suggest next?

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:15 AM

Can you go into device manager and let us know if there are any errors (yellow exclamtion points or red question marks). If so, then let us know what they are next to.

Also, did you run CCleaner as suggested earlier? Did it find errors? If so, was it able to fix them? You may want to run it again, and see if it fixes everything that it finds wrong. If it keeps finding errors with one program, than that program may need to be uninstalled then reinstalled.

Let us know!
Posted Image

#11 yeeha

yeeha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:23 PM

No conflicts in Device Manager, been running the CCleaner at least twice a day, defrag this morning even tho I didn't need to (i do about every other week). The CCleaner did find a few issues and it did fix them, mostly it was things that I have deleted off and there was still a piece here or there. I'm putting anything I want to keep (files not programs) on discs. If I cant get it figured out soon I'm just going to Factory Reset it. Today the screen stretching thing happened when I opened up the Ewido program. Task Manager is apparently still causing the freeze issue. Any new suggestions would be great, if not reformatting & restore seems to be the easiest solution.

#12 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:19 PM

Hmmm....ok, no conflicts in device manager, that's a good thing.

I'm not sure what's causing the screen stretching issue.....no doubt it's a video issue (duh! LOL!). Can you tell me what kind of computer you have (emachines 1234, dell dimensions 1234 etc. etc.)? Do you know if you have onboard (integrated) video or is it an add on card? If possible (assuming you can do this, not trying to be insulting), can you reinstall the video drivers for it then try to update them? If you let me know what you've got for a graphics card (video card) I'll try to find the latest drivers for you.

What do you have the refresh rate set at for the monitor?

If you can't find all this info, then you can download SIW HERE. It will tell you all sorts of information about your computer. I need to know whats under "video" and "monitor".

The above will help me figure out what's causing the stretching. I think that once we get this sorted out, it will help with your freezing issue.

Oh, and does this ever do it when you're not online?
Posted Image

#13 yeeha

yeeha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:00 PM

Ok here we go, I'm a pretty smart cookie when it comes to the tower of a puter, programs give me the shivers. I am going to build my next computer and you had better be prepared for all the Q's I'll have for you.

Compaq Presario 5320US
pent 4
CPU 1500 MHz
1.50 GHz
512 MB RAM
Windows XP home 2002
Service Pack 2

Video card I put in: GeForce 4 MX 4000 (I know dont lol)
Adapter info:
Chip Type GeForce 4 MX 4000
DAC Type Intergrated RAMDAC
Memory size 64 MB
Bios Info version 4.18.20.36.04

I'm always online (cable) so I have no clue if the stretching does it while offline or not. Like you said I'm sure that is a graphics issue. I do know my PS is on the very low end, had planned on upgrading but decided to just wait a bit more for my build. As I really dont want to put the extra $ in this but if I did it wouldn't be a huge deal I think I can get a 500W for around $60 @ newegg.com. I'll wait on a response from you before I reinstall the video driver as I think I have the latest and I've uninstalled & reinstalled before. I find GeForce website a bit confusing. I hope I've given you all the info you wanted, If not let me know & I'll hunt it down for you. Oh...... refresh rate is set at 60 H right now.

#14 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:57 PM

You said that you put the card in yourself.....has it done this stretchy thing since it's been installed or has it just started? Is the video set to agp or auto in the BIOS? You may want to check this.

Ok, this is awkward, but....do you have a different monitor you could use? I'm not just throwing out guesses here, or grasping for ideas, but I'd like to rule out the monitor going bad too. I talked to some one today who said they had the same problem, and it was his monitor.

Your refresh rate is ok set at 60hz. Make sure that you're resolution isn't set to high (max res for that card is 2048x1536@60Hz). 1024x768@60hz is good.

In the meanwhile, we're going to try to rule out the grapics card and any/all video issues. Go ahead and update your drivers to the graphics card. Be sure to uninstall them before you install your old ones. When you uninstall your old drivers, it'll ask you to restart the computer. Say no and choose shut down instead. Since you've installed the card before, and are comfortable with the tower and what's inside, go ahead and pull the card out and reseat the card. Also, we're going to install directX 9.0c. You can get it from windows HERE.

If this is something that's just started, but you've had the card in for a while and it was fine before, and none of this will fix it, then I'd feel safe saying that it's either the monitor or the card that's gone bad. If it was your power supply, then I should think it would just quit altogether, not just die a little bit.

The first thing I'd do is to try to change out the monitor. If that doesn't work, I'd try to swap out the graphics card. If neither worked, I'd pull my hair out and scream "colorful sentance enhancers" :thumbsup: . Kidding. If that doesn't work, then I'd double check the settings in the BIOS, then as a last resort, I'd try to swap out the power supply.....or this might be the perfect time to build your new machine :flowers:

Hope this helps! Please let me know how you make out with all these suggestions. If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks! :trumpet:
Posted Image

#15 yeeha

yeeha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:55 AM

Feels like a Blonde day, where can I find the BIOS you're looking for? I can do the F10 but I'm not seeing anything that would have to do with the video being agp or auto, I could be overlooking something or I'm just blonde and in the wrong spot. A few quick answers to your other Q's.

My resolution is set at 1024x768 @ 60Hz and I have Direct X 9.0c already installed, I believe it came with Sims2 (which I cant play video not good enough). The video card has been in the computer for close to 2 years and the stretchy thing hasn't happened until recently. I've used more than my fair share of "colorful sentance enhancers" and I'm getting close to bald....lol.

Once I hear back from you on the BIOS then I'll print that out, look in there and then go to basement and get different monitor, I dont know if i have a different PS or not, I have extra towers so I'd think there'd be one in at least one of them . And I'll reseat the video card and we'll see what else we have to do.

I cant start new build yet I'm still short $ to get the stuff I want/need. I'm looking at another year before I start my build.

Thank you so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users