Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LED Monitor is on, no display

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Normanomicon

Normanomicon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

The title may make this problem seem simple, but it's actually a lot more complicated than you'd think and, after much troubleshooting, I find myself to be stumped.

I own an Alienware AW2210 LED monitor. Recently, the monitor (apparently) died on me. It would be plugged in properly (via HDMI) and powered on, but I couldn't get anything to show on the display. Holding a light to the screen would allow me to see the display, which led me to believe that I had a dead backlight.

So, I moved my LG LED TV over to my desk and now use it as a monitor, no problem at all.

Here's where I'm stumped:

Out of curiosity, I hooked my Alienware monitor up to my Xbox 360, and it worked perfectly! Thinking that perhaps it was just a fluke before, I hooked the monitor back up to my computer. It briefly displayed, but then the screen dimmed and died. Tried it on the Xbox once more, and it worked again.

A friend of mine (who's PC has the same graphics card as mine), decided to bring his monitor over. We hooked it up and it worked. However, it would randomly dim or brighten according to what was on the screen, and it was most noticeable when scrolling through my Facebook feed. We verified that no cables were loose. My friend took his monitor back home to use on his computer, and the weird dimming never happened.

I've tried multiple HDMI cables, so I verified that that wasn't the issue.

I also tried to use a DVI cable, but it didn't work.

Thoughts on the problem? My biggest fear is that something is wrong with my graphics card. A new monitor doesn't hurt my wallet nearly as much as a graphics card would.

EDIT: Just recalled that the monitor was making a strange buzzing sound two days prior to the display being lost.

Edited by Normanomicon, 26 March 2014 - 01:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

When you said the DVI cable did not work, did you change the input source in the OSD of monitor?

#3 Normanomicon

Normanomicon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:42 PM

When you said the DVI cable did not work, did you change the input source in the OSD of monitor?

Yes, I did. No luck. And again, it would briefly display, then dim and die.

Edited by Normanomicon, 26 March 2014 - 12:44 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

The only other thought I have would be to update the graphics card driver. When looking at that monitor, it had a driver disk. Not sure that would help but if the driver was not installed it may work. Very wierd problem because it works perfectly on the Xbox.

#5 Normanomicon

Normanomicon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

The only other thought I have would be to update the graphics card driver. When looking at that monitor, it had a driver disk. Not sure that would help but if the driver was not installed it may work. Very wierd problem because it works perfectly on the Xbox.

That is one thing to look at! I haven't checked for a new driver in a few months, so perhaps there's an update.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

I do not know if it would help but under the menu section of the monitor is Other Settings > Factory Reset. Maybe resetting the monitor would do something.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 March 2014 - 01:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users