Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Recovery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eddie13f

eddie13f

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

Hello all!

I am new to this forum but have heard great things so I am hoping you all may be able to help!

I have my harddrive from my college laptop (Lenovo r61, SATA HD) and I am hoping to recover the data from it. I don't necessarily want to restore the laptop, just recover the data. I had Windows Vista 32 bit on the Stinkpad and I had a boot password. I am afraid this screwed me!

I know a tiny bit about computers but follow instruction well! I have a USB connection recovery tool and have the harddrive connected to a machine running Windows 7. When I plug it in the disc starts with no concerning sounds that make me think mechanical failure. The recovery partition appears but the main partition does not. Is there a way to recover my data?

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

Hello and welcome to BC :welcome:
could you tell more about USB connection recovery tool that you talking about?

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

You could try booting to a linux distro and see if the data partition is available, I suggest something like mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Just burn it to a disc and boot to the disc. Linux does not care about permissions the way windows does. The data may be accessible in linux. If you had some encryption software installed on the hard drive, you may not be able to recover data without putting the hard drive in a computer and getting it to boot.

As a quick note: I have seen many hard drives fail where the recovery partition was available but the os partition or data parition was not. If the drive is bad there is some software I suggest: Get Data Back (even if the partition is missing you might be able to get data), Recuva (another data recovery software), there are many available.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 eddie13f

eddie13f
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

Thank you!

I am using the following:

http://www.sabrent.com/category/hard-drive-enclosures/USB-DSC5/

Thank you for your response!

#5 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

if you want to recovery data on harddrive please DONT INSTALL RECOVERY SOFTWARE ON SAME HARDRIVE THAT YOU WANT TO RECOVER OR SAVING DATA THAT YOU RECOVERY IN SAME HARDRIVE <- lots of people ignore that warning and make data that they want to recover be damaged and sometimes make they hardrive be inaccessible.

if you hardrive was SATA then you dont need that USB, just plug it to SATA port on your mainboard and power it with SATA power cable from mainboard, its more safe and faster rather than using USB cable :wink:

if one recovery software couldn't read data that you want to recovery than try another software, I usually stick with R-Studio but its was not free software :wink:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users