Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card? PSU? Monitor Shuts off, mouse & keyboard don't work.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:00 AM

Hello All!

I've been dealing with this issue for a while.  I'll reference my previous posts below.  I've waiting so long to post this partly because I was too busy to get to the root of the problem and partly I wanted to TRULY understand what seems to be causing it before I wasted people's time.  

I've had this issue, and tried what was suggested.  I have also tried this.

Those did fix some problems, but not the big issue that still seems to be bogging down my system.  

So here's what I've discovered:

I have a LOT fewer issues viewing content from the Internet.

INTERNET

I sometimes go days without my PC doing the monitor, sound, keyboard/mouse freak out.  When it does shut down on my, the sound generally keeps going.  Occasionally I lose sound as well.  Regardless the only way to recover is the power button.

Viewing TV 

This can sometimes be OK.  On other days it is like 2 minutes and it goes down.  No monitor, no sound, no mouse, no keyboard.  It varies, but it seems like it happens sooner on network TV (CBS, ABC, etc...) than on the "others" ( i.e. CW).  I can "Sometimes" watch recorded TV.  Some days it is the only way to watch TV, some days it's just as bad.

I have tried using another monitor.  The same thing happens.

One thing to mention, is that during start up, I briefly get a blue screen flash that says something about no support, then it flashes away and everything is peachy, until it does the "no support" thing on the monitor, and the other issues above occur.  Another thing is I have seen some sort of video errors reported now and then, I don't really know what they mean or if they are a result of another problem.   Any thoughts???   Thank you for reading this far!  I look forward to solving this mystery!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

It sounds like you do have a hardware level issue. I would recommend looking for blown or bulging capacitors inside of the computer on the mainboard and on the video card here are some examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+bulging+capacitors+motherboard&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=o_MyU6TaGeTn2QXYg4GABQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=796&bih=457

Then lets run who crashed:

We need to analyze your operating system's crash dump files to further diagnose what could possibly be crashing your computer system.

Please download Who Crashed? and save it to your desktop.

Double click whocrashedSetup.exe and choose Run

On Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 machines, when User Account Control asks if you wish to install this program, say YES to install the program on your computer.

Program can also be installed by right click and choosing Run As An Administrator.

On the next screen choose Next and accept the agreement.

Install the program in it's default location C:\Program Files\WhoCrashed (If your primary drive is different from C:, choose your primary drive.)

Choose Next and allow program to create a Start Menu Folder called WhoCrashed and click Next.

Allow program to create desktop icon and click Next.

Now Click Install.

Once the program is installed on your computer system, look for the WhoCrashed icon.png desktop Icon and double click it.

Accept the User Account Control request and the program will open on your screen and should look something like this.

whocrashed.png

Next, Click the Analyze button. analyze.png

An Information Window should appear on your screen prompting you to scroll down your screen.

If a report was generated we would like to have a look at this report.

To do this, click File analyze.png and then choose Export.

Save as WhoCrashedOutput.htm to your desktop.

Open WhoCrashedOutput.htm and copy and paste all of the contents from System Information (local) and Crash Dump Analysis and the Conclusion into your next reply.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

We should also run speccy:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

Thank you so much!  Here is my "Who Crashed" info.  I'll run Speccy in a few ticks.  Thanks again!

System Information (local)

computer name: SUPERNOVA
windows version: Windows Vista Service Pack 2, 6.0, build: 6002
windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: KJ382AA-ABA m9250f, HP-Pavilion, PEGATRON CORPORATION, Benicia
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 3487907840 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1981865984

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 3/25/2014 12:55:48 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini032514-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown ()
Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: CUSTOM_ERROR

On Tue 3/18/2014 2:06:55 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031814-01.dmp
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.

On Tue 3/4/2014 3:41:43 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini030414-01.dmp

On Sun 2/23/2014 12:04:22 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini022314-01.dmp

On Wed 2/19/2014 2:52:34 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini021914-01.dmp

On Sun 2/9/2014 1:39:25 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini020914-01.dmp

On Tue 2/4/2014 3:09:23 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini020414-01.dmp

Conclusion

7 crash dumps have been found and analyzed.
Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

#5 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

Speccy Information:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/T6wnXEblrSFLqwYv3C3EOW5

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

That crash dump I have never seen before, unfortunately I could find no specific hardware/software related to the crash.

Your video card is running extremely hot:

1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (BFG Tech): 
107 °C

I recommend dusting out your computer specifically your video card and make sure the fan is spinning. Overheating may be causing the crash. While you are in there, look for blown or bulging capacitors on the card and the main board. Those cards sometimes exhausted into the case (makes no sense to heat up the components) I do not know who would design a card to exhaust internally but a lot of those 9800s did, this caused heat to build up in the case and shortens life span of capacitors. 

Also I recommend running a memtest86 on your ram. You will need to burn this to a disc and boot to the disc, I recommend running at least 2 full passes. You can download this version: Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) for burning to a disc,
or if you have a flash drive (backup data first) you can download a different version and install it to the flash drive, then boot to the flash drive:

Source website for memtest86: http://www.memtest.org/

Edited by zingo156, 26 March 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:35 PM

Also I recommend running a memtest86 on your ram. You will need to burn this to a disc and boot to the disc, I recommend running at least 2 full passes

The following is an excerpt from Memtest's frequently asked questions and answers.

"All tests are executed in one pass, so does that mean that no errors

will show after the first pass if that pass didn't reveal any errors? Well
no, there are several reasons why errors might only show up after a number
of passes. Firstly as of this writing, the latest version of memtest also
includes a test which uses random test patterns, each pass these patterns
will of course be different. Secondly some types of errors simply don't show
up until the system has been running for a while or are very critical on a
certain timing condition, or other such conditions.

To conclude, one successful pass of memtest will give you a pretty good idea
that your memory is ok, only in rare cases will there be errors showing
after the first pass. To be sure though simply have the test run overnight
or even for a couple of days depending on the level of importance of the
system."

Most people  here suggest just allowing it to run overnight, or at least seven passes.

Edited by dc3, 26 March 2014 - 02:47 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

I agree with this, I usually recommend over night but in this case I believe if there is a problem it will show up relatively quickly. On all my personal desktops and servers I run memtest for a minimum of 24 hours to ensure stability. I had 1 particular MSI laptop (from a client) that blue screened extremely rarely, I ran memtest over night and found no errors. Since it had only happened 2 times and the crash dumps were generic I called it good because I could not re-create the blue screen. A few weeks later the laptop was back still blue screening on rare occasions. I let memtest86 run for 4 days and found 2 errors on 4th day. I replaced the stick with the errors and the computer has not returned. I am not sure why an error would take 4 days to show up. I will say in most cases where ram is the cause of blue screens and the blue screens are frequent (at least 1 time a day), I generally see  errors within the first pass.

Edited by zingo156, 26 March 2014 - 02:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users