Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing more RAM on a laptop?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:53 AM

I am currently using an ASUS laptop with 4GB RAM and a 2GB dedicated graphics card from Nvidia. It's quite new, I've had for about half a year I believe, but I've had some memory issues that are really starting to bother me (I do believe they are mainly windows 8.1 related, they didn't occur before that).

I was wondering though, if it's possible to install 4GB RAM more on a laptop? I know it's not exactly easy, but if possible and useful, I would really appreciate a bit more RAM.

My laptops specs:

Intel Core i5 3230M, 2.60GHz

4.00 GB RAM (3.89 GB usable)

64-bit operating system

Is it possible and useful to install more RAM?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

Actually you should be in luck here, depending on the exact model of the laptop (which is?)

it should be fairly easy, there should be a panel on the bottom of the laptop that has what almost looks like a couple frames of film from a camera, that will hold the RAM underneath, you just need to find the correct RAM compatible with your computer.

If you had a performance workstation with dual channel or quad channel then you have to tear apart the whole thing to get to the primary and secondary slots, but your laptop should only have a couple slots.

#3 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/N56VJ/#specifications

This should be the model (according to my warranty card), and the specs for it. ;)

#4 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

Anything on this list should fit in your laptop, you would want to get a stick of 4 or 8 (to bring your system total to 6 or 10GB) or get 2 sticks of either 4 or 8 (for a total of 8 or 16GB)

The MAX that your laptop can take is 16GB.

I personally prefer crucial, corsair, hyperX, G.Skill, Patriot or PNY for brands

#5 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

Thanks a lot!! I'm probably going to go with 8GB. (:

#6 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:59 PM

If you're getting 8GB, make sure to utilise both, so get Dual-Channel. What this is, is that you purchase to 4GH 1600MHz sticks and stick them in each DIMM slot, instead of a singular 8GB. Dual-Channel is much better, you can poke around with it on the net if you need more info, or you can ask.

mYIGVc5.png

#7 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:06 AM

Okay thanks!! I was wondering about what would be the best option, let's hope I won't get any more memory issues from now on! (:

#8 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

If you're getting 8GB, make sure to utilise both, so get Dual-Channel. What this is, is that you purchase to 4GH 1600MHz sticks and stick them in each DIMM slot, instead of a singular 8GB. Dual-Channel is much better, you can poke around with it on the net if you need more info, or you can ask.

In this case single channel will be using only one stick of ram, she can buy a single 8gb stick if she so chooses and combine that with the other 2gb stick, it'll run fine. My Asus laptop came from the factory with 2 different brands of  3gb of ram(1gb+2gb) I switched out the 1gb stick with a 4gb stick of gskill it works ok

There is too much fear uncertainty and doubt on here about mixing different sticks of ram, granted its not ideal but its not as bad as its made out to be either

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users