Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The mistake that is 'Windows 8.1'

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

Ever since I installed windows 8.1, I've noticed a few problems with my beloved laptop. Sadly, I know there's no way to downgrade easily, so I hope I may be able to fix it without having to do a clean install...

The most bothersome issue is the memory issue. My laptop has 4GB RAM installed and a 2GB dedicated graphics card. Since installing Windows 8.1, I have been getting errors about full memory, while it is simply impossible for my memory to be full (the only two programs I was running were Google Chrome and Sims 3 (using the Nvidia graphics). That should be nowhere near the 4GB RAM that's supposed to be 'full', right? I googled it and noticed I wasn't the only one with the issue.

I'm also wondering about the meaning of the figured in Task Manager. It says I have 54% of my memory in use, but of all the tasks I can see I calculated around 1GB usage? When I open the performance tab, and click memory, it tells me 2.0GB is in use, 1.9GB is available (I'm only running Firefox right now, no other programs, so 2GB does seem like a bit much?).

What does 2.8/14.8GB commited memory and 1.5GB Cached mean?

Occasionally it does tell me I have used 100% of Disk memory, I believe, while it shows there's barely anything in use, which worries me.

I've also noticed my laptop is a bit slower than usual.

I have run multiple AV/malware scans and my computer should be completely clean. I quite regularly defrag my system using Auslogics Diskdefrag.

Conclusion: the memory message and slowness concern me,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

Hi,

is it possible they are referring to the space on your hard drive rather than the RAM memory? How large is your hard drive, how much space is left on it?

regards

myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

500GB in total, 80GB left on C drive and all space left on D drive, so that should be good! ;)

#4 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

Hi,

I haven't used Win8 in a while (and haven't upgraded to Win 8.1) so I can't say if this is part of your problem, but I have seen firefox and chrome use 2GB of RAM easily. It all depends on how many tabs you have open and what you use them for. My Firefox uses 1GB of RAM right now.

If I recall correctly Win8 itself uses something around 1.5-2GB of RAM (Which is the same or less than win7 and vista use btw), add to that 1GB of RAM for firefox and some used by sims and it can get low. When you checked the taskmanager, did you show all processes or just your own? 2GB of RAM used with firefox running doesn't sound too bad actually, I wouldn't expect it to be much lower really.

What does 2.8/14.8GB commited memory and 1.5GB Cached mean?

Committed memory is the amount of memory needed and maximal useable. Windows uses a mechanism that allows it to use normal hard drive space as a backup to RAM. The number means that it currently is requesting 2.8 GB of memory and that it can request up to 14.8GB of memory in total if necessary. Of this 2.8 GB requested memory, 1.5 GB are cached on the hard drive and not stored in RAM.

This may help with the definitions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2160852 (Even if it isn't aimed at Win8 per se)

regards

myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

Thanks myrti! That could be a problem then, hopefully I can upgrade my RAM, but on a laptop that is pretty hard. I've always worked on a 16 GB RAM iMac, so I guess I'm not used to those messages ;)  It also bothered me a bit that those messages only started showing up once 8.1 was installed and never before that (while I did exactly the same on my laptop), but I think I'm going to look into ways to upgrade RAM on a laptop then! (:

Edited by MsImAQuickStudy, 26 March 2014 - 12:47 PM.

#6 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

Sometimes those memory error messages don't really have anything to do with memory or storage, rather they are caused by a compatibility issue.  One way to check is to right-click the icon that launches the program, select Properties, then the Compatibility tab, then enable "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and use the drop down box to select an older version of Windows (sometimes I have to try a couple).  Even if this doesn't solve your problem it can't hurt anything.

Edited by compnovo, 26 March 2014 - 12:58 PM.

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#7 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

I will certainly try that too, thanks (:

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

Upping the ram on most laptops is not as big a deal as many think, 7 runs decent with 4 but much better with 6-8.  Ram has gotten quite rasonable!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:13 PM

I have indeed researched this matter and found out that it is really doable on my laptop! So I'm certainly going to upgrade my RAM to 8GB as soon as possible!

Thanks everyone (:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users