Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beeping on startup any help appreciated

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Activist..mmm..yes.

Activist..mmm..yes.

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

Hi all I have been using my PC for the past four months and never really experienced much problems with it, sometimes it may switch off when playing videogames, especially counterstrike global offensive, in particular, but it's 9/10 times fine. The other day I was browsing the web while playing cs, looking to buy new headphones, when my computer switched off. No biggie, I thought, but when I switched it back on, it wouldn't last two seconds, I seen the cooling turn on and off within an instant, the leds lit up, but only for a moment, then it switched off. Once it was off, I got beeping noises coming from my PC, two beeps one after the other withabout half second between them, then like a two second break then the beeps again. Like 
Beep.Beep 
Beep,.Beep 
Beep.Beep 
And this would continue going on, I'm not a tech wiz as I didn't build this pc personally, but I can tell you the computer specs. 

intel i5 3570k (was ocd to 4.8ghz) but it's back to stock now before I do a less stressfull oc 
Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-D3H Motherboard 
G Skill ripjaws x series 1600 mhz 8gb RAM. ( 2x4gig) 
R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/ Factory OC 
500gb Samsung HDD 
750w Corsair psu 
a 120 gb ssd 
hyper 212 evo cpu cooler 
geIL evo cyclone memory cooler 
recon3d soundcard 
and an lcd touchscreen fan controller, thats pretty much it. 

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated thanks, like I said, I'm not a tech wiz and hoping this isn't too complicated if it can be fixed, thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:00 AM

OK, this is a reach without knowing what BIOS you have. However, this post may have some value:

http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/674-computer-error-beep-codes-ever-wondered-why-your-computer-beeps/

Good luck.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:10 AM

I tried to find what type of bios you have and even read through the manual from gigabyte for your board. I could not find post beep code information. However here is a general list of beep codes and their meaning: http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=guide_beep_codes

I believe you have a problem with ram. Pull all of the ram out, put only 1 stick back into 1 slot and then try powering on. If it works, power off and add another stick and power it back on, if it still works, keep adding ram until it fails. The stick you add that causes a post failure is likely the bad stick OR it could be that slot on the main board or a problem with the cpu.

Also the computer should not be powering off at random. Since it happens during gaming my first thought would be over heating shut off especially with an oc of 4.8ghz... If we can get it running watch your temperatures closely.

If the above ram suggestion does not work: Disconnect every piece of hardware that is not needed to get the computer to post: leave only the cpu, cpu cooler, (use onboard video remove the add-in card), and 1 stick of ram in 1 slot, the psu connected only to the 24pin and 4/8pin on the main board. Try to power it on this way.

Edited by zingo156, 26 March 2014 - 08:11 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 Activist..mmm..yes.

Activist..mmm..yes.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

Hi thank you all for your replies so far, I was looking around google trying to remember what my BIOS menu looked like and I believe it looked exactly like this one

gigabyte uefi dual bios, thank you once again for the help as of yet

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6170/four-multigpu-z77-boards-from-280350-plx-pex-8747-featuring-gigabyte-asrock-ecs-and-evga/3

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

The correct code is:

2 short Memory parity error A memory parity error has occurred in the first 64K of RAM.  The RAM IC is probably bad

Try re-seating your ram, or 1 stick at a time. You likely have a bad stick of ram, bad mainboard slot, or possible cpu problem. Start with the ram first.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 Activist..mmm..yes.

Activist..mmm..yes.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:54 AM

thank you I will do

#7 Activist..mmm..yes.

Activist..mmm..yes.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:35 PM

I'm going to try this tomorrow when I get back, thanks for all of your help,hopefully it works

#8 Activist..mmm..yes.

Activist..mmm..yes.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:37 AM

Ahh, forgot I had RAM cooling, don't want to go probbing about and destroying anything, scouring the internet for guides on how to remove this gel evo cyclone memory system, but to no avail, just so I can get to my RAM sticks, like I said, I'm no tech wizz ^^

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

If you can take a picture or maybe a few of the ram cooler, I may be able to tell you how to get it off. Since ram is the likely culprit, this is the place to start. If you can not get it off, it might be worth taking it to a local pc repair shop, if it is the ram, they would probably charge a relatively minimal fee (call for a quote first).

Edited by zingo156, 27 March 2014 - 07:41 AM.

#10 Activist..mmm..yes.

Activist..mmm..yes.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:20 AM

Hi thank you, yes I'll link these photos, if I can't seem to get it off myself I may just call a callout repair technician and see if I can get a quote, thanks

http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/NatalieLeBouve/media/IMG_4092_zpsb471ff2b.jpg.html?filters[user]=134620794&filters[recent]=1&filters[publicOnly]=1&sort=1&o=0

http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/NatalieLeBouve/media/IMG_4091_zpsc36b2a3e.jpg.html?filters[user]=134620794&filters[recent]=1&filters[publicOnly]=1&sort=1&o=1

http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/NatalieLeBouve/media/IMG_4082_zpsfc6e9feb.jpg.html?filters[user]=134620794&filters[recent]=1&filters[publicOnly]=1&sort=1&o=2

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

I am not familiar with that cooler. Most of the ram coolers I have seen "clip" on. Without seeing it from every angle I can not tell you exactly how to take it off.

If it is the same as this: http://www.geil.com.tw/products/showSpec/id/142

It looks like there are 4 screws 2 on both sides, the black ones on each side in that photo. Those would need to be losened and then it should pull straight off. BE CAREFUL and disconnect power because it may fall off or a screw may fall and short something out. When it is off then try the 1 stick at a time method.

#12 Activist..mmm..yes.

Activist..mmm..yes.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

Yes that's the exact one, thank you for your time and swift reply

#13 Activist..mmm..yes.

Activist..mmm..yes.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:37 AM

Hi guys thank you for your help I took it to a tech store and it turns out it wasn't POST codes, it was my psu cutting out and telling me, every time I switched it on I knew I could hear like a little surge, wasn't helped by the fact that the psu was mounted the wrong way round :(, seen the inside and it was just sucking up all the dust and they settled inside it

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

The psu was making the beeps? Interesting if this is the case. Good to hear the problem was found. Power supplies are one of the most frequently failed parts. I would say in the retail world psu's fail almost as much as hard drives.

#15 Activist..mmm..yes.

Activist..mmm..yes.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

Thank you very much for your help I really really appreciate it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users