Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB installation issues - Peppermint

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Izzye

Izzye

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:19 AM

Yay another computer problem! I should probably just buy a new computer at the rate I'm going.

Anyway, I recently upgraded my ubuntu laptop to 13.10 wondering if there were any updates which would prevent it from using all of my computer's resources, but now it runs even slower (which I wasn't sure was possible) so I've decided to go down the route of putting a lightweight distro on it instead. I thought I'd try Peppermint and I have the ISO, I've burned it onto a USB using ISO to USB which I've used in the past, but when I instructed my laptop to boot off it it claimed there was no OS on it. So I stuck it into my XP desktop to see if it was the drive or my computer being stupid and my desktop won't give me the option to boot off USB (I can boot off a Floppy which is impressive given my lack of drive for one) so I've now no idea whether it's the USB itself which is corrupt or my computer is more dead than I thought it was. I don't have a CD drive in it so I can't install anything that way, USB was pretty much my last hope when it came to putting on a new OS. Anyone got any ideas as to what else I could try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

I've burned it onto a USB using ISO to USB

What I would try is installing it to usb. Not burning it.

Start  the other pc from live disc then once its booted click the install button on the desktop. When it asks where you want to install to select the USB stick then install as normal.

#3 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

I don't have anything with which to burn a livedisk unfortunately. Although I seem to have sorted it. Different USB, different burn software seems to have done the trick.

#4 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

if you have 2 usb ports and two usb sticks you can do it without a cd drive. download peppermint to usb stick. install unetbootin  http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/  to you computer

then use unetbootin to install on one stick. boot it up then plugin the other and install to it. worked for me

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users