Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 power state issues (sleep mode, hibernation, shutdown)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 DarthMohawk

DarthMohawk

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

I’ve been having troubles with my laptop powering on and off, as well as any time I attempt to use sleep/standby mode or hibernation. The machine is a Lenovo G500s running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Service Pack 1. In the mornings when I try to power it on, it usually takes multiple attempts before the computer will get past the splash screen, although all the lights on the front light up as though the machine was working. Now, once it does boot, it runs pretty much perfectly, but if I try to put the machine into standby mode, the computer will never actually reach that point – the light on the front indicating that the computer is on remains a solid color, whereas when it reaches sleep mode it is supposed to blink on and off instead. Further, the computer tells me “Windows was not shut down correctly” and gives me the options for Safe Mode, etc., when I boot it, but nothing ever appears in the Event Log to help me troubleshoot this problem.

On the bright side, I have a few crash dumps from my machine, which I have attempted to translate into a readable format using Windows Debugging Tools. I have attached these files to this post. They seem to indicate I have a driver issue, but I have already downloaded all of the most up-to-date drivers for my specific machine from the Lenovo website. (Or so I believe; I also included a driver list in this post's attachments, just in case.)

I am very frustrated by these difficulties. Any help, suggestions, etc you can offer would be most appreciated. Also, if I need to offer any additional information, please inform me what else you need to know.

Thanks in advance,

Mohawk

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:27 AM

right off you should try to do a driver update.  Or roll back depending on if the issue started after an update.

For a update of drivers go to Lenovo's website, and look for the drivers and updates.

Perform them in this order as needed.

Chipset

BIOS

Video

Audio

all others. (unless Lenovo recommends other wise).  The most important are the chipset then BIOS.

Do a backup and recovery/ restore before you update your drivers.  After update use CCleaner (download it here

Download, launch and run the registry tab. 

After all are completed shutdown again and reboot.  Still have the issue?  Make sure to check in the control pannel under hardware for the power options, and turn off the sleep mode and see if hybernate works.  Then try it again with just sleep mode working. 

Also program like Itunes, any backup tools, and antivirus programs can cause your computer to run while it should be sleeping, and error when you wake it. Disable them,

in run type msconfig and hit ENTER

Click yes if a popup windows comes up that is UAC

Then in the first tab click on Selective Startup and uncheck Load Startup Items

Then go to Services Tab and click the box that says "Hide all Microsoft Services"

After that disable all that remain.

In the Startup tab all should be unchecked.

Click apply and OK.

When it asks for reboot allow it. 

Then is a Clean Run of of Windows.  Check to see if they error is still present.  If not, then go into startup and click half the list to enable and reboot.  Then keep doing this untill you find the program.

If the startup is OK do the same in the services tab.  When you get the issue narrowed down, stop it or uninstall it if you want to and that should fix it.

Still not working then you can try this tool  (warning, this can fix issues, or make them worse, depending on the issue and type.  I have had nothing but success with it, but again that is why you made a restore point before this happened)

All in One Repair found here.

Good luck

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:34 AM

any luck?

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#4 DarthMohawk

DarthMohawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:26 AM

Some luck. I went through the list in order (download drivers from Lenovo, run CCleaner, run All-in-One Cleaner) and initially it seemed to work. Two tries later, however, I realised that my computer was set to enter hibernate mode from sleep mode after 2 hours, and that hibernation is still non-functional in that that process does not complete (athough I don't need that power state as much), so I changed that setting to never hibernate from sleep. I am trying a few other things today to see if my computer remains capable of entering sleep mode.

I did get one additional blue screen yesterday, although I don't know if it says anything important, so it is attached to this post. Which drivers, if not one of the 4 listed in your first reply, control PCI.sys?

And in my energy report from running powercfg -energy on a command prompt (which is also attached), I see a message saying:

Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled

PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

Is there a known workaround for this, other than to turn PCI ASPM off?

I appreciate your help; I'm unfortunately clueless about the inner workings of the power management of my PC.

Regards,

Mohawk

Attached Files

#5 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:47 PM

Its cool... I will look at these tonight and get back to you. Im on my phone now just checking in. Could you also download Speccy (go to the download tab on our site and type it in). install it, run it. When its finished in the file tab. Click Publish snapshot to internet or publish snapshot as a link.
PM that link to me please. I say PM because the snapshot will have network info on it that I dont want you to post to a public forum.
thanks
CZARBOOM 

#6 DarthMohawk

DarthMohawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:59 PM

I have sent you my Speccy information. Unfortunately, my computer is once again not completing standby/sleep mode correctly, so I guess the All-in-One Repair had no real effect. Any additional ideas?

Thanks for your help thus far. Regards,

Mohawk

#7 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

Your Windows installation may have errors, regarding your BSOD error.

Analysing your blue-screen debug dump the error appears in:

X64_0x9F_3_POWER_DOWN_iaStorA_IMAGE_pci.sys

Do you perhaps, have a Windows installation disk? If you boot up from that, and do a system repair, it may fix this problem. It seems like your "power" states, IE your hibernation and sleep is impacted on your OS.

--

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
A driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a specific time.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000003, A device object has been blocking an Irp for too long a time
Arg2: fffffa80069bf060, Physical Device Object of the stack
Arg3: fffff800034073d8, nt!TRIAGE_9F_POWER on Win7 and higher, otherwise the Functional Device Object of the stack
Arg4: fffffa8009fe0260, The blocked IRP
--

mYIGVc5.png

#8 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:29 AM

Hi,

Sorry about the Delay, but I had to read over some items.  I noticed from the Speccy file that the Windows 7 OS was installed on 3/16/2014.  Is that correct?  Also did you upgrade from XP? 

I ask because the pci.sys issue was a XP related one in SP2.... what it does look like is that you installed Windows 7 for disc, and didnt do a Clean Install.  (a clean install will reformat the HD during install)  the regular install or upgrade will just install a new OS over the existing one, delete it, and create a old.windows file in C:/  look to see if you have one... you might not with XP to 7.

In anycase pci.sys is causing the issue, and its usually a driver related issue, but I think the install was not complete correctly and caused files native to XP to carryover to Windows 7. 

Is this the case?  If so you have some options.  The easiest is to save all your files.... (I dont like backups, but that is just me... I do a backup when I get a system, but grab my files out of Documents, Downloads, my pictures, my video and my music.  Also whatever is on the desktop that I want.)  But do what you feel the best with.

After the backup, do a clean install of Windows 7.  You will need the Windows 7 disc that you used for the upgrade.  But before we get into that, let me know if what I am assuming is correct.

thank you

CZARBOOM 

#9 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:07 AM

Quite sure carry-overs can be fixed by a system repair

Edited by hamluis, 29 March 2014 - 09:43 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

mYIGVc5.png

#10 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:03 AM

sometimes it can fix them, being its the easier of the two, then trying that could not hurt anything.  But, like in all versions of Windows it seems to be designed to fail and need a reinstall.  But maybe that is just me and how I always test the limits of the system.... and loose honeymoon pictures because of it.... hint... dont do that.  Ha.

But, overall a Clean install is the only fool proof way to know that all issues (unless hardware caused) are addressed.

good point though

CZARBOOM 

#11 DarthMohawk

DarthMohawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

Hi,

Sorry about the Delay, but I had to read over some items.  I noticed from the Speccy file that the Windows 7 OS was installed on 3/16/2014.  Is that correct?  Also did you upgrade from XP? 

I ask because the pci.sys issue was a XP related one in SP2.... what it does look like is that you installed Windows 7 for disc, and didnt do a Clean Install.  (a clean install will reformat the HD during install)  the regular install or upgrade will just install a new OS over the existing one, delete it, and create a old.windows file in C:/  look to see if you have one... you might not with XP to 7.

In anycase pci.sys is causing the issue, and its usually a driver related issue, but I think the install was not complete correctly and caused files native to XP to carryover to Windows 7. 

Is this the case?  If so you have some options.  The easiest is to save all your files.... (I dont like backups, but that is just me... I do a backup when I get a system, but grab my files out of Documents, Downloads, my pictures, my video and my music.  Also whatever is on the desktop that I want.)  But do what you feel the best with.

After the backup, do a clean install of Windows 7.  You will need the Windows 7 disc that you used for the upgrade.  But before we get into that, let me know if what I am assuming is correct.

thank you

Yes, WIndows 7 was installed around that time, but not from XP. Rather, my machine was originally a Windows 8 laptop, which I switched to Win7 after having much the same problems I am having currently (not to mention disliking the interface). That said, in between Win8 and Win7, I ended up formatting the hard drive, so presumably this install was already a "clean" install. I can certainly try doing a restore install using my Win7 ISO disc, though. I'll get back to you once I find out the results from that operation.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

Its cool... I will look at these tonight and get back to you. Im on my phone now just checking in. Could you also download Speccy (go to the download tab on our site and type it in). install it, run it. When its finished in the file tab. Click Publish snapshot to internet or publish snapshot as a link.
PM that link to me please. I say PM because the snapshot will have network info on it that I dont want you to post to a public forum.
thanks

Please...this website does not conduct forum business...by PM, email, or any method other than posting at this website.  This ensures that all information is public and accessible by anyone who intends to try to assist the member with a computer situation.  It's also pretty basic that multiple pairs of eyes and minds...are more likely to result in a positive outcome...than merely one set of eyes or one mind.

Thanks for understanding :).

Louis

#13 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

ok, thanks sir.  like everyone here always learning. 

CZARBOOM 

#14 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:25 PM

Hi,

thank you

Yes, WIndows 7 was installed around that time, but not from XP. Rather, my machine was originally a Windows 8 laptop, which I switched to Win7 after having much the same problems I am having currently (not to mention disliking the interface). That said, in between Win8 and Win7, I ended up formatting the hard drive, so presumably this install was already a "clean" install. I can certainly try doing a restore install using my Win7 ISO disc, though. I'll get back to you once I find out the results from that operation.

Ok, well that changes a little bit.  Microsoft has tried really hard to almost make it impossable to go to windows 7 if you have 8.  There are numerious issues that happen, as you are finding out, due to this.  Meaning, if you has secur boot or UEFI neabled and you did a down grade, that will jack up a lot of things.  But, I agree, continue on and when you get results let me know, on this forum please.

CZARBOOM 

#15 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

hello, if you would follow the below instructions. I want to take a look at your actual crash dump files and see if i can do some digging that will give us a clue into your issues

Upload the actual crash dump files.

You will find the crash dump files inside C:\Windows\Minidump folder. To copy the dumps, disable "User Account Control" first. Otherwise you may receive a permission error. After disabling UAC, copy and zip all the dumps using 7-zip ( http://www.7-zip.org ). Either attach the zip with next reply using "More reply options --> Attach files" or use a free file hosting site.

For example -> http://www.mediafire.com/

Publish a snapshot of your system using Speccy

Please follow the below tutorial to know how to use "Speccy" to collect system info.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Don't paste the output displayed by "Speccy" here. Instead paste the web link it displays.

Minitoolbox log

Download "Minitoolbox" from the below link.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

Run the tool and only select the following tick boxes.

List last 10 Event viewer errors
List installed program
List users, partition and memory size
List Minidumps

Now click "Go" and post the output displayed in next reply.

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users