Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC randomly reboots

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Miller408

Miller408

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

So I put together a new PC about a week ago everything was fine till a couple of days ago. All of a sudden I started getting random restarts now they happen often and fast. The system even reboots while I am in the bios which leads me to believe hardware perhaps? Only things I reused from my previous desktop was corsair 850 psu and 8gb ddr3 corsair dominator 2 gb ram sticks 1333mhz I believe.

After the restarts I bought another psu a cool master i700 just to see if that was the culprit. It was not.

PC specs are:

Gigabyte z87-ds3h mother board
Samsung ssd 120gb
2tb want to say wd but that has been disconnected since the troubles started
Asus gtx 770
Asus DVD drive
Samsung DVD drive
8gb corsair dominator ddr3
I5 4570
No over clocks all on default

Also have done clean windows 7 install and still had issues. Also in the event viewer a bunch of errors and warnings pop up. Been getting kernel 41 task 63 but I think that's from the PC restarting. Also I been getting the Microsoft security client client oobe stopped due to the following error 0xc000000d

I tried doing memtest86 as well but can't even complete one pass on all 4 sticks trying one stick at a time in different channels lasted even less.

Tried booting with out gtx 770 installed as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated this has been driving me mad for past 4 days.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zolton34

zolton34

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:00 AM

My first thought is that you may have an extra post screw under your mobo shorting it out (the screws you put into your case to screw your mobo down). Failing that it may be your cpu not having its heat sink properly placed causing it to over heat and shut down. I'd check the mobo first then if that is not it or doesn't fix it check my cpu fan. But it does sound like either a short or over heating problem.

#3 Miller408

Miller408
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:09 AM

It's not over heating I been watching the temps plus crashed a few times in the bios screen never got warmer than 26c. Weird thing was it was stable for about 45 mins and I ran prime95 for that time and it was stable and did not go over 60c. I will tear it down again and see if there is anything behind the mobo but there shouldn't be no screws or anything behind it. Was stable for a full week before it started going crazy.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:45 AM

"I tried doing memtest86 as well but can't even complete one pass on all 4 sticks trying one stick at a time in different channels lasted even less."

EDIT: disconnect your cases reset and power button etc. You can power the computer on by shorting the power button pins (it will not damage the board this is exactly what the power button does) just in case it is related to a faulty switch.

Lets start here, what version of memtest were you using? Version 5.01 has only Added preliminary support for Intel "Haswell" CPUs (Core 4th Gen). I don't recall if I have tried memtest on my current haswell (I think I have), I may do that tonight to check compatibility for you.

What exactly happens when you run memtest? Does it freeze right away? Do you get errors? We can be certain if your restarts are happening at a bios level (when you are in the bios) there is a hardware problem. The first thing I would do is disconnect every bit of hardware that is not needed, add in video card, hard drives, disc drives, etc.

Try to run a memtest with just the cpu, cpu cooler, use the onboard video, 1 stick of ram in 1 slot, and the power supply only plugged into the 24 pin and 4/8 pin connectors on the main board. If 1 stick passes, add another stick, if that passes add another, etc. The memory controller is built into the cpu. If you can never get memtest to run stable with even 1 stick it could be either a problem with memtest compatibility or cpu/mainboard/ram. You might want to double check that no cpu pins on the board were bent, (it is very easy to do accidentally). The other thing you can do if you have your old board/cpu is run a memtest on all the ram with that, if it passes there you can at least remove the ram from the equation and that leaves the cpu or mainboard since you have already swapped the psu with no success.

One last question: did you use the standouts to mount your mainboard (the standout raises the board away from the case about 1/4inch)?  I know that is a silly question but I have seen people forget to do this countltess times.

I have read a few threads about people running MT on Haswell chips, it seems to work. I am not sure which version they are using but I would assume 5.01

Edited by zingo156, 27 March 2014 - 07:46 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Miller408

Miller408
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

It was latest version of mem test but I took whole computer apart. Reapplied thermal paste but this time left the reset jumper unhooked and has been running prime 95 stable for a hour and half so seems like something is up with either the button or the wire itself. Still got errors In the event viewer but I should be able to handle those. Thanks for your guys help I will keep monitoring it to make sure it was the reset button.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

Errors in the windows event viewer are actually completely normal (critical errors and other certain errors can idicate a problem). Most are of no concern. I would actually be suprised to see a computer that had no errors in the event viewer. I am glad to hear it is up and running.

Edited by zingo156, 27 March 2014 - 07:53 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users