Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

rkill crashes my fresh windows XP install

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ral-Clan

Ral-Clan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:00 PM

Hi, just did a brand new clean install of Windows XP SP3 Home on an old P4 system (I do know about Windows XP support ending but this computer needs Windows XP to run a specific piece of hardware which isn't supported by later versions of Windows).

The system has only been running two days, almost all of which was for the setup, during which time I went on the web only to download known and trusted applications from reputable sites. The first thing I installed on it was Avast and Malwarebytes before I downloaded anything else. Other apps installed included OpenOffice, GIMP, Inkscape, Firefox all obtained directly from the original publishers' websites.  All browsing peformed in order to do this was done in the latest version of Firefox.

So this should be a very clean system.

One of the final steps of the setup was to perform FULL system test scans of the system using my preferred legion of anti-malware software. This was MalWareBytles, AVAST, COMODO Cleaning Essentials, Spybot Search and Destroy.  They all reported the system as clean.

I then downloaded rkill directly from bleepingcomputer.com, scanned it for malware before running it, then when it passed as clean, I executed it just to test that it was working. As soon as rkill opened the command line window and started shutting down services I got a BSOD, with the same number: 0x000000F4.  the BSOD also said something about how "a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or terminated...".

Upon rebooting the system I get the standard windows alert "The system has recovered from a serious failure..." pointing to the product "Product: 768_1". This apparently is my Nvideo GeForce 5700LE AGP graphics card.  It's an older card but I have installed it with the absolute latest drivers available, downloaded directly from the manufacturer's site and scanned for malware prior to installation (so almost certainly clean).

Obviously there is no log file I can provide because rkill is not finishing its job before the BSOD and system reset happens.  However, I have ran rkill several times with a repeatable and immediate BSOD showing the same product number. I have also tried downloading and running the versions of rkill that are re-named.  These also produce the same BSOD. The BSOD crash even occurs in SAFE MODE.

The system is very stable otherwise and I have not gotten crashes from anything else.

So....what I have here is a (verly likely) clean, newly set up system that crashes hard whenever rkill is executed and starts to shut off services.  It seems like rkill is not compatible with the Nvidia GeForce 5700LE graphics card driver.  I don't think this is a malware issue.  Could there be a bug in the Nvidia card driver or even in rkill itself which causes this problem?  To whom can I report this to help work on a solution?

Thanks

Edited by Ral-Clan, 25 March 2014 - 09:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

RKill created by Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), the site owner of BleepingComputer is a specific utility primarily designed to terminate the most common malicious processes that prevent other security tools from being executed, complete a scan or used to disinfect the system. RKill is not designed to be a comprehensive malware removal tool so using it is not required in all situations. When RKill is able to terminate malicious processes and fix certain registry keys, that action usually allows other tools to perform scans and clean up routines to remove the infection. If you are able to run other security tools without them terminating, there is no need to run RKill.

If you are having issues running RKill, please report them to the developer (Grinler) by posting your question or comments at the last page of this topic...RKill - What it does and What it Doesn't - A brief introduction to the program
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users