Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Had BSOD, Did Startup repair, now I have a mouse pointer on black screen

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 orapaho

orapaho

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

I have an MSI A6000 laptop with Windows 7 home professional.  I have a nephew who got some vuze files and today I got a BSOD.  So I tried going to Safe Mode, which I could not do.  So I used a Windows 7 installation disk and did a start up repair.  Now after the windows logo comes up, it just hangs on a black screen with the mouse pointer (which moves).  Still cannot get into safe mode.   Tried the startup repair 3 times since then, with no improvement.  Please advise me.

Edited by hamluis, 26 March 2014 - 03:22 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 orapaho

orapaho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

at this black screen, I got a dialog box that says ' "winlogon.exe- badimage"    windows/system32/wkscli.dll  is not designed to run on windows or contains an error'

#3 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:07 PM

try this fix.  It is by Kaspersky, and worked for me not only on windows 7 but windows 8 as well.

This is the rescue disk 10, and if you go under the tab General Use, there are step by step instructions on how to use this.  You can make it on another computer, and run it from the broken one.  It creates a shell linux enviroment that allows Kaspersky to check for viruses, and registry errors etc.  It will also allow you to get into a desktop, that will allow you to grab your files, and a few system recoverys that you can try also.  Even restores.

Find the link here.

Good luck

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#4 orapaho

orapaho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

I downloaded the kaspersky iso image of rescue disk as well as the utility to record.  I sent to image to my flash drive.  When I went to boot from it, it said the " pen drive did not have an operating system" associated with it.  So I went back and formatted my flash drive with FAT32, allocation size (default), and then copied the image over.  However on reboot with the problem laptop, I got the same message about the pen drive.  Do I need to have Kaspersky antivirus product on my "good computer"? 

#5 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:33 PM

No, You probably copied the iso on to the flash drive. Try UNetbootin.unetbootin-windows7.png

Change "Drive" to whatever your usb drive is. Select the "diskinage" radio button and select your Kaspersky Rescue disk. 

#6 orapaho

orapaho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:39 PM

I was able to put the rescue disk on the flash drive.  I booted the laptop of the flash drive.  I got the Kaspersky image with the progress bar at the bottom and...... then it went to text on a black screen.  It repeated a message akin to  ' mount: special dvice, devmap/le-rev does not exist

dracut warning- Fatal: Failed to mount block device of live image refusing to continue

Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!  exit code = oxooooo100

Pid: 1 , comm: init not tainted 3.4.24-kid 10# 1

Call Trace:

blah blah blah 

Panic occured, switching back to text console.

(This was not the Exact message, but you get the idea) 

I rebooted again same message. 

Edited by orapaho, 27 March 2014 - 11:44 PM.

#7 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:22 AM

Seems that the install is not for USB.  failed to mount block device.... 

Do you have secure boot or UEFI ?  This can cause all types of issues when using a recovery disc.  Go into BIOS when you boot up computer.  Its usually something like F10, F8 F5 F12 etc. 

Make sure in BIOS secure boot and/or UEFI is disabled. (if you have it on your BIOS not all do, also look to see Legacy Boot is enabled)  Here is some info from Kaspersky on Booting From UEFI mode here.  Over all if you can burn the ISO to a DVD, and then boot from CD, it causes a lot less issues, and resolves itself

Make sure you disable Secure Boot/UEFI first and reboot, then enable Legacy Boot and reboot.  (i know you really cant reboot but you get what I mean, save and exit and turn off and on.)

Was this computer down graded from WIndows 8 to windows 7? 

What USB installer are you using? 

Can you run it in Text mode?  Do you know how?

When you downloaded the .ISO file to the USB did you use the Kaspersky tool?  Remember first to format that USB dive in FAT 16 or 32, then use the Kaspersky tool.  See more info on it here.

Lastly, when you are using this from a USB did you read page 13 on of the PDF that is on the site?  It lists specific items that you need to edit and change to make this work right?  Here is the link to the PDF here.

Overall, I would burn it to a DVD, you can use windows for that.  Its easer and has always worked for me.  Also if you dont have DVDs to use and need to use the USB, read on how to boot from text mode in the PDF.  I would suspect the issue is that this tool loads, then performs a action, then grabs more info from the DVD/USB and works somemore.  Its a pain but to run alot of items from USB that are made from DVD you have to edit items in them.  I use easy USB 123 which you can find here.

Again using a Linux tool in a windows enviroment can be tricky but can be done.

Overall, I guess I should of explained this better, I didnt want you to use this as a virus tool.  Meaning when the scan starts stop it.  Click X or stop.

Go to the desktop that is there, its a bit tricky but by going into the file path, if you click in the bottom right corner, or right click sometimes works you can get to the file path.  Go to C:/ drive, and there are all your files.  You can plug in a external USB drive and save all files from your Documents/music/videos/pics and downloads there.  This is most of the files that anyone wants on their computer. 

Then if you have a windows 7 installiation disc you can do a clean reinstall.  (this delets all your files on your computer.)  To do this follow this guide here.  If you have a install disc from windows skip the USB part and go down to the install screen, if you do not the first part will guide u through making a USB to do this from.  Both work, I just used this to reinstall OS Windows 7 on 3 computers yesterday. 

And no you do not need Kaspersky to use the rescue disc.  If you do not want to do this, I think you might have a virus, and keeping with the rules for my position here I will get you intouch with a malware removal support tech, who are super smart and can work with you on getting you computer running again.

Please let me know either way.

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#8 orapaho

orapaho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:44 AM

The Kaspersky rescue disk work this time czarboom.  Not sure what I did. maybe forgot to set bios to boot from usb.  I am a little confused by your last message.  I am running the scan now, however it sounds like that is not the intention of the rescue disk, in this case.   Is it just a way to access all my files so I can copy them to an external hard drive?   Is my computer beyond an easy fix, so I need to backup all my files and reinstall windows?

#9 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:32 AM

Yes, My intention was to get you back into your system, so you could grab the files... but if it is working let the scan do its thing.  Follow the guide.  After wards if you still cannot get into windows let me know and we will go from there.  Sometimes I give out too much info too fast.... trying to save you time.  In anycase let me know what happens when the scan finishes.

If you cannot fix the issue then yes.... we will go on to grabing your files and reinstalling from a Clean Install.  But lets wait for that till you get back to me

thank you

CZARBOOM 

#10 orapaho

orapaho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

Ok I have been using my 1 gb flash drive to transfer files from laptop over to my desktop.  I may just invest in an external hard drive and plug that into my laptop and transfer the files directly to it.  I can do that with the rescue disk right?    I assume I cant go to a cloud service at this point.

I ran the Kaspersky scan tool, but it shut off about a half hour into it.  I rebooted (off the hard drive)  I got this message:  Windows\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0 is corrupt and unreadable.

I dont know if that helps you anymore.  I have a perception that Reinstalling windows is quite drastic, but if that is the best course of action, then lets continue.

#11 orapaho

orapaho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:19 AM

I got an external hard drive.  There are many folders that I have created with word, music, etc.  which I definitely need to copy.  Should I be copying folders like "temp, or Users or Windows or Documents and Settings"  ?    I am just dragging folders over to the external hard drive, is there a more simple way.   Also.... If my files have a virus on it, wont I be copying the virus onto the external hard drive too?

#12 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:23 AM

So were you able to get the rescue disk to work again?  If you did make sure you go into your system power option and turn off hybernate and sleep and shut down.  Keep the system plugged in all that stuff.

There is a networking option in the GUI for the Disc.  Meaning you can enable your network (that is how you got the updates) and there is a browser Icon in there as well to launch.  I played with it, and its slow at best. 

So, go back through the guide, and do it all over.  Get the scanner running.  (stop the scanner and change your power options, and save some files first. )

Then start the scan again.  (remember the files you saved could be infected so do not load or use them until you do a virus scan on that drive.)

The error is due to the stopping of the rescue disc, run the disc again please.  But follow the tips above first.

The reinstall of windows is not very hard at all.  If you follow the guide link in the post 2 back its nothing more than

• turning off your computer
  • inserting DVD
  • start computer
  • when the blue screen comes up to start install press SHIFT and F10 (on some laptops you have to press the CTRL Key to enable the F keys so in that case it would be CTRL SHIFT F10 all at the same time)
  • type line by line just what the guide shows.  It will reformate the HD and enable it.  (Assuming you are using a regular HD and not a SSD type)
  • exit out
  • continue install by click next on install screen. 

Its that easy.  And the best part is after you grab your inportant files and pics from the Rescue Tool boot then using the install disc has no real downside. 

But, before you do this do the following

1. Run the Rescue disc again
  2. stop the scan and go into the files, get you pics, documents etc that you want to save to a external HD.
  3. Get into the control pannel (if you can) and disable hybernate and sleep).
  4. Run the scan.

Then we will continue with other options.  There are some more tools that we can try before the clean install if you would like.

CZARBOOM 

#13 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:29 AM

Are there more than one user account of the computer?  If so then there will be files and pictures in other users files.

You can just click and drag the entire C:/ folder to your external HD and it will take almost everything from your computer there is.

Usually everything you want and need is located in

• document folder
  • desktop folder
  • my pictures
  • my video
  • my music

again if there are other windows account users then you will need to go into the users folder and click their name and copy the same files again for each user. 

Use the CTRL key to select multiple folders at the same time.

Lastly yes, if you copy files to your external HD before you do the scan then there could be malware in them.  That being the case when you go to plug it into a new computer with a antivirus most will ask you to scan the external drive before you can use them.  Click yes, and see if it finds anything.

I just posted a reply so if you have question I will be on for 30 mins or so.

You can PM me too if needed.

good luck

CZARBOOM 

#14 orapaho

orapaho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

I am the only user on the computer, and Yes the rescue disk does work. The Scan function stops in the middle and shuts down, but I will see about those power options u mentioned.

Are the system power options in BIOS?  I think you said via the rescue disk you can go to control panel?

I am not sure I saw that in BIOS last time I checked.   If I drag c drive to my external harddrive, it will shutdown somewhere close to 1/2 hour into it, so I have been doing each folder individually.  I found where it hangs up, It is the USERS folder.  It is 75 gig folder with lots of downloads.  When it has copied around 15 gig of info the rescue program runs through a black screen with green writing that says something about a an initialization to kill the task..... or something like that.  This whole problem started when my nephew torrented something so maybe the offending virus or malware is in the USERS folder. 

By the way, I do not have a windows 7 disk, I dont remember getting one, when I bought my laptop.  However I was able to make a windows installation disc from somewhere online. When I use that disc it has an option to install windows.  So I will let you know what comes of that.  Right now just making sure Everything is backed up.

#15 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

ok,

Make sure that the windows 7 disc you have is the save version that your current computer is.  Meaning, x64 bit or 32 bit, and Ultimate, Pro or standard Windows 7.  The power options are in the control pannel but there are CMD commands that do this as well.  If you suspect it might be a virus, then I need to put you over to one of the malware Pros here.  Do to the nature of my training here I have agreeded not to do virus troubleshooting until I am trained by them.  So let me know and I will get you in touch with very smart guys who have a lot of tools and expirence fixing malware. 

Good Luck and I will check back tonight CST USA.

CZARBOOM 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users