Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a limit to how many external hard drives/flash drives you install?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

Is there a limit to how many external hard drives/flash drives you install on a laptop/desktop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

If you're using Windows, the OS can mount 26 volumes in total, A: to Z:  If you remove from this the drive designations already in use on the system (A: and B: are reserved for FDDs and are generally not available, the system will usually use at least C: for system partition and further allocations according to the equipment list), removable drives could be added to use up the remainder.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

as platypus the limit is 26 (well 23 realistically with the reservations) but generally the limiting factor is the number of USB ports.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

as platypus the limit is 26 (well 23 realistically with the reservations) but generally the limiting factor is the number of USB ports.

Keep in mind that limits on number of USB ports can be overcome with USB hubs. Admittedly, it is not a solution without weaknesses. For example, USB ports have a fixed maximum throughput no matter how many devices you might have connected to that port by way of USB hubs. So, if you have a 5 port USB hub connected to one USB port and you connect 5 USB external drives to that hub, then those 5 drives are "splitting" up the maximum throughput of the USB port (i.e. splitting up 480 Mbps for USB 2.0). Thus, it might slow down data transfers between drives. Of course, not all drives will necessarily transferring data at all times.

In addition, there is not that says all the drives have to be USB drives. They could be Firewire, eSATA, or even network attached drives…although I do suspect the original poster likely was talking about USB drives.

Then there is the fact that you can add additional USB ports to computers if you need to do so. It is very easy to do for desktops. For laptops, it is also easy but it will require a ExpressCard slot, which not all have.

On the other side of the coin, keep in mind that if you partition a drive, then each partition can use a drive letter.

And last, to my knowledge, you are not limited to the number of drive letters…I believe you can mount more volumes than 26…you can only have 26 drives with a letter attached to them. This is mainly seen in terms of network drives, but it might be possible to do it with a USB drive…not completely sure as I have never had a need to try it.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

I think the answer could theoretically be much higher, 250+ if you were willing to do the work.  You can mount a volume as a folder, so you could have a C: drive with additional drives inside listed as Drive 001, Drive 002, and so on.  What the effect of removing a drive would be, I couldn't tell you.  There was only one time where I was tempted to use this and never actually used it in practice.

In regular use 26 drive letters is sufficient for most people.  Even with the dozen drives I have in my machine and a few mapped externals I am fine.  Only in a work environment might 26 drive letters not be enough.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:21 PM

I don't know about the volumes and folder options but I have had up to 20 individual drive designations spread across four seperate hard drives.  This was multiple partitions for different users but could work with USB, Firewire, even IEEE488, any perceived device gets a designation.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

You can never have too many ports LOL.

I guess with this setup if you have 5 USB ports on your PC you could plug 5 of these boards into them.

ji2ipw.jpg

25pk8sz.jpg

Edited by NickAu1, 01 April 2014 - 12:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users