Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloaded the wrong CCleaner update

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 cslizewski13

cslizewski13

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

I've been using Piriform's CCleaner for quite some time and it was time for an update.  Clicked on the wrong link and downloaded something that isn't allowing me to run Malwarebytes or SUPERAntiSpyware.  I realized the mistake when i looked at the CCleaner version number, so I went to redownload the CCleaner update and saw I the wrong link I clicked. 

Wrong link is located:

I went to Filehippo.com to download the update, on the right hand side of the page there is blue "Download CCleaner", this is the culprit.  the page it took me to is: 

hxxp://cc.dl-hosting.com/?gclid=CJLP67nirr0CFfFFMgodPUwA7Q

and the file it had me download was:

CCleaner_Setup.exe

As I said, I tried to run Malwarebytes and SUPERAntispyware and my computer gives me a message that says:

Missing Shortcut
searching for mbam.exe

than another window pops up and says:

Problem with Shortcut
The drive or network connection that the shorcut 'Malwarebytes' AntiMalware.lnk' refers to is unavailable.  Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again.

this happens the same for both Malwarebytes and SUPERAntispyware.  The only think I have done since the download was redownload the new CCleaner (the real one) and try to run the above mentioned mal and spyware programs only to have them fail.

My opertating system is:
Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Clint

Edited by quietman7, 26 March 2014 - 01:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users