Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another XP refugee... with questions`

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 voyager43

voyager43

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:55 PM

I've gone through some recent threads about the imminent demise of XP, and have decided to at least do Linux as a dual-boot option, if not full-bore. I do have some concerns that I couldn't find addressed. Laptop is Dell Latitude D620, T2400 CPU @ 1.83 GHz w/ 2.99 GB of RAM (not sure on speeds), Mobile Intel 945GM graphics adapter, Intel Pro 3945ABG Wireless network connector.

1. I should be able to use most Linux distros with my hardware setup, correct?

2. One concern is gaming. Will WINE run most Windows games? Specifically I want to know about Torchlight 2 and Age of Empires 2, as we play these games quite regularly at home over the LAN.

3. What are some good resources for catching back up on Linux? I last messed around with Red Hat back in 1999 (?) and liked it, although never really delved deeply into it for a variety of reasons. My subsequent systems have all been Win98SE/XP machines.

Thank you for your time

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

. . .

1. I should be able to use most Linux distros with my hardware setup, correct?

2. One concern is gaming. Will WINE run most Windows games? Specifically I want to know about Torchlight 2 and Age of Empires 2, as we play these games quite regularly at home over the LAN.

3. What are some good resources for catching back up on Linux? I last messed around with Red Hat back in 1999 (?) and liked it, although never really delved deeply into it for a variety of reasons. My subsequent systems have all been Win98SE/XP machines.

Thank you for your time

1.  No.  If thinking of a 'buntu, stick with 12.04 LTS versions.  32-bit is the architecture you want, too.  Ask for recommendations and you'll get dozens, likely confusing you even more.  MEPIS, MX-14, Linux Lite (based on 12.04), Zenwalk, antiX, CrunchBang, PCLinuxOS bear checking out.  Read about MX-14 -- it will mention a Desktop Environment named XFCE.  I recommend going no 'heavier' than this DE on your hardware. 

2.  With a Core2Duo and 3GB RAM at 667MHz, it's possible.  I think I'd max out RAM capacity of the motherboard before trying it, though.

3.  Rute Linux Tutorial and Exposition is a fine reference.  Linux in Easy Steps may be a good refresher if UNIX/Linux commands are forgotten. As is Linux In A Nutshell

Edited by pane-free, 25 March 2014 - 08:13 PM.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:28 PM

One concern is gaming. Will WINE run most Windows games?

I wouldnt count on it. Wine can be a pain. You may have performance issues.

But Linux has steam on it and if you have a legit copy of age of empires it should run that way.

Age of Empires 2,

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221380/discussions/0/

Torchlight 2

http://steamcommunity.com/app/200710

#4 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

Hey. I have the same machine as you voyager. But with only 2gb of ram.

Please keep the thread up to date with what works for you, or fails. I was thinking of trying Mint for my dual boot, but my time frame for getting it done is probably going to be slower.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:04 AM

#1, on that hardware you should be able to run most 32 versions of Linux w/out issue. I highly suggest Linux Mint "Mate" version, although others prefers Ubuntu. Mint has one main advantage, the Start Menu is similar to XP's, Ubuntu has a lot of eye candy & the new user has to dig to find things, just like Windows 8 users had to before 3rd party Start menus began to show. Also, the Mint communty is one of the best you'll find. Tons of support for newcomers & veterans alike. Priority support for newbies.

#2, Wine is just an emulator, can't handle games at any decent rate, unless the user has a very powerful computer & still there would be issues. After research on your CPU, I see it supports running virtual machines (VT-x). Therefore, provided you have enough RAM (upgrade to the max), you can run XP or possibly Windows 7 in VirtualBox for gaming.

http://ark.intel.com/products/27235/Intel-Core-Duo-Processor-T2400-2M-Cache-1_83-ghz-667-mhz-fsb

There are more games for Linux emerging as the demand is increasing.

#3, right here at Bleeping Computer & various Linux forums. Each OS has their own community forum & there are also general Linux forums that deals with most all distros.

Keep us informed of your progress & good luck with Linux. I feel that you'll enjoy the experience.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 28 March 2014 - 12:04 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users