Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need assistance with screenshot and windows auto update

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

Hi folks , I reinstalled and now I have a problem with windows update not being automatic ,  windows is legit and it's activated but it appears it wasn't activated when I reinstalled .

After an hour of usage I noticed it activated but the auto update feature didn't correct itself,   in the past I did something with the value of  AU in HKLM but I forgot what to type in the AU field (value)

Any help is very much appreciated.

It shows( AU options   REG D WORD         0x000000002 (2)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

there is no reason to go to the registry. Anything you change in the GUI will be changed in the registry.

That being said, did you:

Start>Control Panel>System and Security>Windows Update

#3 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

I couldn't get the screenshot to show so forget that .   As to your question yes , I have tried everything as administrator and it won't let me get auto update.  It says windows is set to check with you before downloading updates and that's from my admin account.

I dealt with this once before and the only thing that corrected it was a registry value change but I forgot what to add or subtract.

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

Change the dword value to 4

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:47 PM

Click 'Start - Control panel - Windows update'. At the top left hand side of the screen you will see 'Change settings'. Click on this and the very top entry on the screen you will be taken to is 'Important updates' with a drop-down box to choose your options.

I know it is a case of 'Do as I say, not as I do' because if I set a computer up for you, I will set updates to 'Automatic'. This way I am reasonably sure they will get done. On my own computers, I have it set to 'Check and notify', which is the way you have yours at the moment. It gives you the option not to install particular updates if you don't want them. This means that hardware drivers, for example, do not get installed from MS.

Your computer, your choice.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

Click 'Start - Control panel - Windows update'. At the top left hand side of the screen you will see 'Change settings'. Click on this and the very top entry on the screen you will be taken to is 'Important updates' with a drop-down box to choose your options.

I know it is a case of 'Do as I say, not as I do' because if I set a computer up for you, I will set updates to 'Automatic'. This way I am reasonably sure they will get done. On my own computers, I have it set to 'Check and notify', which is the way you have yours at the moment. It gives you the option not to install particular updates if you don't want them. This means that hardware drivers, for example, do not get installed from MS.

Your computer, your choice.

Chris Cosgrove

That's the very first thing I always do but it's not possible , it is glazed over and does not allow me to change any settings even under admin ,    it is greyed out which prevents access.   That is what I have been trying to convey.

Edited by herbman, 25 March 2014 - 08:38 PM.

#7 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:26 AM

If the windows update option is greyed out and it up at the top it says 'some settings are managed by your system administrator' your computer has some group policy settings which brings up the second question of when you reinstalled windows where did you get your windows disk and did you erase everything or just install on top of what you currently had.

To edit policy setting you may use gpedit.msc (but this is only available on windows 7 professional and higher)

If you just want to edit your settings manually in the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Entry name Data type Values
AUOptions  Reg_DWORD  Range = 2|3|4|5

2 = Notify before download.
3 = Automatically download and notify of installation. 
4 = Automatically download and schedule installation. Only valid if values exist for ScheduledInstallDay and ScheduledInstallTime.
5 = Automatic Updates is required and users can configure it.

complete range of Automatic registry options here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939844(v=ws.10).aspx

Edited by AngryRaisin, 26 March 2014 - 04:02 AM.

#8 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:42 AM

Thank you angry raisin ,  yes that is my problem in a nutshell .    I never received a manufacturers disk so I needed to download the Win 7 SP1 ISO  from Digital River .

I know it's the right download as it was provided to me right here on this forum just a month or two ago. 

Why I get this issue sometimes is beyond me but Its certainly annoying ,  i only own this one computer and I only use it with a Ethernet cable plugged in for broadband.

Is this a common occurrence and is doing what you recommend in your above post with the registry a common work around or do you think it will negatively effect other programs ?

Thank you so much for your help , it's very much appreciated.

Maybe it has something to do with me making a system image shortly after I reinstalled the OS ,  sometimes I just go to advanced recovery options and reinstall with the system image I burned .     This is far easier and takes a lot less time than reinstalling with the ISO image where you have to download close to 170 windows updates.  

I have only used the Windows option to make a system image on the  backup and restore screen .

Edited by herbman, 26 March 2014 - 03:49 AM.

#9 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

if you had a system image with this group policy set then that would be a good reason why it comes back when you reimage with that copy.  It is unusual to see this outside of a business environment ... but very common place to set when a computer is added to a domain within a company.  If you have used this computer in a company where they had to change something so you could log on to their network then that is what happened.

If this is your own personal computer that you have never taken into a business environment then usually disabled settings are set by viruses to disable future updates.

There is no harm by changing settings using the registry but I'm curious as to why it happened in the first place.  If you want an option of checking for viruses I would recomend http://www.surfright.nl/en/products/ 

Edited by AngryRaisin, 26 March 2014 - 12:57 PM.

#10 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

No it's never been in a business environment and I am almost 100% positive that this laptop is virus free.    I have been using Kaspersky for years and run on demand scanners all the time including malwarebytes, SAS, Eset online scanner,  numerous anti rootkits , Hitman pro , etc.....and none of them ever find anything.

I'm  also am very safe online and rarely if ever download anything and if I do it's get thoroughly scanned by Virus total and Kaspersky first.    I know I often get the (bitmap is incorrect ) and (windows found free space marked as allocated) at times when I run chkdsk and sfc/scannow but they are corrected as soon as I run chkdsk/f or chkdsk/r .

I also have no issues with activating Windows with my laptops product key ,   the prevention of auto update doesn't always happen but usually kicks in after I use the computer for a bit and after all updates are already installed,  I will notice a flag on the right side bottom of screen with a message that says (view windows update settings ) and (set up backup).

This blockage of auto update often happens if I restore the computer using the system image more than once.     I wonder if using a different program to make the system imaqe would prevent this.

Edited by herbman, 26 March 2014 - 04:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users