Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions About Android Security

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

Hi Animal!

I didn't get the Nokia,I got the Huawei Valiant & I would love to log on to BC from there & another site that I frequent but I don't do anything but read because I am afraid to....won't everybody (malware,spyware,hackers)get my phone number this way?.....I may sound paranoid & I suppose I am but I am a very private person & I never have put any personal info on line...anything that ever required phone #, I always made one up......I do not get soliciting texts or phone calls & do not want to........my friends get 100's of texts from all kinds of advertisers & I believe that is why?

Another question I have is about apps......in order to get any app you have to have a google account,what does that even mean?I assumed it is my gmail account....so if I put in my gmail account won't they finally have my phone number?What is the best protection against hackers,spyware & malware? I see malwarebytes now has free download for android,any good?........I just feel like somehow going on the internet with my phone is going to end up causing problems on my computer(desktop)....Do I sound crazy?

This is my first"smart phone"& I don't have any idea how it works but the internet is the internet & I want to be safe

Best Regards-Kwik

Edited by newbleeping, 25 March 2014 - 03:12 PM.

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

Lots of questions. Give me some time to formulate a reply to them as best I can. That way others reading this topic who might have the same questions but never asked will get a reply as well.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

Gmail account=Google account. Same thing. I have had an Android phone for four years and I will be upgrading to a new phone in the near future. The only thing I suggest is to be careful what apps you download from Google Play, especially with games. I'm not a gamer so it's not an issue for me. I don't text so the only texts I receive are from my ISP. A lot of apps like Youtube should come with your phone. The only outside apps I have are my Twitter app, Plume. I don't like Twitter's Android app. Also Dropbox, iMdb to look up movies, Wikipedia, the Foursquare checkin app and BatteryBot to keep track of the remaining charge. I haven't seen much need for any malware protection. I don't think an infection can travel from your PC to tour phone or vice versa. If you're not sure about an app on Google Play, read the reviews or ask about it here. 

#4 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:30 AM

Hi Animal....

Thank you so much for everything......take your time & I will gladly wait for your reply,I figured you may straighten out the mess I made with the 2 threads-lol   oops!(Sure is appreciated!)

Gratefully-Kwik

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

Let me see if I can answer you line item by line item.

You ask if by visiting websites malware and hackers will get your phone number?

If your phone should become 'infected', yes it's theoretically possible. But with Android you use a browser like you do on a computer and it has nothing to do with your phone number.

You ask in order to get an app you have to have a Google account?

When you activated your Android you created a Google account. It's the same as the Gmail address associated with your phones Gmail.

My personal opinion for Android is that the malware/hackers/spyware issues is way overblown. As long as you don't sideload(download from any source other than Google Play Store) you are relatively safe. Sure a tiny fraction of apps are sketchy. But they are usually taken down quickly. The only way to get infected on Android is that you actually have to install the malware. So as long as you do your due diligence and only download from the Play Store You're as safe as reasonably can be.

I have my own perceptions about anti-virus and anti-malware for Android that I prefer not to post in open forum. I'll leave that to other members to share their thoughts.

I hope I addressed the bulk of your questions. If you need more information please ask and I'll do my best to accommodate

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#6 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

Hi Animal,,,,

Thank you so much,yes you did answer my questions & I don't think there is much else that concerns me....I don't retrieve gmail from my phone & I am not too sure about what that "existing account" is but I suppose I will find ouit when I use it-lol 

I am also interseted to hear others opinions on anti -malware etc,,,,for android......

Gtatefully yours,Kwik

#7 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

Hey Frank,

Just wanted to thank you for you input,,,,,I am not a gamer either & awfter reading your post I realize I probably don't have much to be concerned about because I really do not do much without first checking in here at BC to get proper advice

Thanks again-Kwik

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:58 PM

The existing account is whatever you chose when you activated the Android/Google/Gmail account and it will be (Whatever you picked)@gmail.com It might be written on your phone contract/receipt. That's the account you'll need to sign in at the Google Play Store. If you're going to download various apps and security applications from there.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hi Animal....

Thanks again,you are so helpful & I just don't know what I would do without you & the rest of the BC staff!!!!!!Yes,I do....I would have smashed the computer last year& I would still be using snail mail & trecking over to the library for books!!!!!Boy am I glad Microsoft & Mozilla referred me to BC! LOL                                                                                        Have a great day! Kwik

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:35 AM

Animal seemed to answer your main questions for you.

I will add to just think of the Android phone as a computer, because that is what it is. So, like a computer, the best way to stay safe is to practice "safe interneting" (yes, not really a word). Things like don't go to a website that you are not sure of, don't click on links in email messages from personally unknown senders (or even at all), as noted by Animal only install Apps from reputable sources (aka the Google Play store or maybe Amazon's Android store), etc. That will go a long way.

You can install a security app if you want. I will admit that I am not as familiar with the current crop as I have been on an iPhone for more than 2 years now after my HTC Evo 4G crapped out on me. Back then I did install and run Lookout Security, but it was more for the included "locate your phone" function than their "scanning" function as Android at that time did not include such a function.

The other thing I would note is about apps. When you install an app from Google Play, they will list what things the apps will access (such as contact, calendar, location, etc). This does not mean that they will use such information for anything other than some legitimate reason (i.e. some actual function of the app…for example, if you install some third party email app, then it will need access to your contacts to help you compose emails since your contacts will likely have your friends/family/business associates email addresses), but if you are really paranoid, then don't install apps that say they will ask content you don't want to share.

#11 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

Hi Smax....

LOL,you figured that out huh?-lol I am really paranoid,I came to BC in an awful mess when I got here back in July & never even sat in front of a computer(everything got hijacked ,infected,name it---he he)So I try to be very careful as they have taught me to & I try to understand everything BEFORE I do it..............so I appreciate your input,

I went to google play yesterday for some "emojis" & I clciked on nothing else  this morning I woke up & there were 6 google apps on my phone asking if I wanted to up date.,chrome,google gmail,keyboard,google play books................I uninstalled the app & I want to get rid of all this google junk & I cant' find "uninstall" anywhere!

#12 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

All those things wanting to update sound like the built in Google apps. If so, then there is no getting rid of them as Android is a Google operating system. You might be able to get rid of them if you rooted the phone, but from your worry about things, you will not likely want to root your phone. Technically, rooting your Android phone makes it easier for bad thing to get on it, so itiky not something you would want to do.

You should, however, make sure you update those apps even if you don't use then. Just like a computer, you should keep thing up to date as updates frequently have security/bug fixes.

#13 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

Hi smax

Oh okay,should I set the auto update?So then I don't have to worry about that stuff,,,,it's all alright?   Even though I would not want to "root" my phone simply because you said bad things can happen,can you tell me what that means "rooting"(just an easy definition-lol)

Sincerely,Kwik

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

More information than you'll ever need regarding rooting an Android: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_rooting

As for auto updating I personally don't auto update. I check comments for each one to make sure there aren't reports that the latest updates are breaking things. Yes it does happen. I also don't allow installs to auto add shortcuts or widgets to homescreen.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#15 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:48 PM

Good Morning Animal !

Thank you,very cool,,,,I love learning.I see,so I  just turned off the "add shortcuts" like you have ,,,,I didn't realize I could until I just read your post.......I  also noticed the"comments" under each update,,,so I will follow your suggestion & check before I update anything,I would hate to hae to buy another phone,,,,,yikes!

I think I might do the Malwarebytes for android?  I hope you are having a really great day!

Gratefully yours,Kwik

Edited by newbleeping, 04 April 2014 - 12:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users