I have a Windows 7 Home Premium x86 laptop that cannot get online. I have been wrangling with this thing for a few hours and I am at a loss. The main issue I see is there are no network devices listed under Network and Sharing Center but there is under the device manager. The network devices in the device manager are not in a bad state (caution nor error), but there is two additional entries entitled WiFi IPv4 and WiFI IPv6 that do have caution icons on them. Network Sharing Center says "Unknown" and that a service failed to start. I will outline some steps I have tried below. Important to note, the laptop has been freezing periodically as I have worked on it. In particular it has frozen 3 times just trying to open services.msc.
- Updated the network drivers from the manufacturer's website.
- Tried to system restore but evidently the user has disabled this.
- Tried to run a repair using the Windows 7 DVD.
- Ran sfc /scannow without any errors.
- Tried network troubleshooting wizard but it will not start.
- Removed the network devices completely and reinstalled drivers/software.
- Booted in safe mode with networking and still cannot get internet access.
- Removed "Double Anti-spyware" that was installed and rebooted.
- Performed startup repair and chkdsk c: /x just because.
If anyone could help me I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks, all.
Edited by hamluis, 27 March 2014 - 05:02 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.