Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SMART hard disk failure warning...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sarah_lu

sarah_lu

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

Hello,

My Sony Vaio laptop has been running slowly for a while now and I've been meaning to perform a full recovery but not got around to it.  Today I started to get an error on startup which said SMART hard disk failure predicted...HD failure may be imminent, back up all data, press f1 to continue.

I've backed up all my data and carried out a full recovery.  The laptop is now running much faster but I still get the error message on startup.  Once I've pressed F1, the laptop starts up normally and runs fine.

My question is, is there anything I can do to prevent this potentially imminent failure or is buying a new HD the only option?  If I do have to buy a new HD, how would I go about installing windows 7, as it's currently stored on the laptop and I don't have disks.  Also can anyone advise what it might cost to have my HD replaced?  (its a 258GB one I think and I'm in the UK).

Would appreciate any help/advice...I'm not bad with computers when it comes to using them/software, but I'm a bit lost when it comes to hardware etc.

Thanks in advance,

Sarah

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

Once you start getting SMART warnings of hard disk failure, then the only sensible course is to replace the disk.  UK cost would be £30-£45 for a HDD (depending upon size).  Some retailers can supply cloning software and a cable, so you attach the new disk to your laptop via USB, copy your partitions to the new disk and then swap them over in the laptop.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

dls62 is correct, I would replace the drive as well. Also cloning may be the easiest option, it would get your restore partition should you need it to restore from infections etc. If a clone fails (they do some times), you can usually get restore discs from the manufacturer: sony in your case. The other option would be to use an oem windows disc (the same version you currently have a license for) example: if you have windows 7 home 64bit , you would need to use a windows 7 home 64bit disc to install (the 32 vs 64 bit version doesn't matter for activation the difference is the amount of ram that can be addressed/used), and then use the windows key from the sticker on bottom of the computer (windows xp - windows 7) to activate. You can borrow any oem windows disc and install as long as it is the same version originally offered with the laptop. Do not use a brand name os disc example: do not use a dell factory restore disc for your sony.

Edited by zingo156, 25 March 2014 - 02:54 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 sarah_lu

sarah_lu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

Thank you for the fast replies.  At least it doesn't sound too expensive.  I'll look into getting it replaced tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users