Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to connect Mad Catz Wireless Gaming adapter to Android mobile hotspot?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 matthew428

matthew428

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

I have a madcatz wireless gaming adapter. I am trying to connect it to my phone's wifi which is an Android (HTC Thunderbolt rooted). I can go in the settings and get the adapter to find the hotspot and followed the steps to get it connected, but for some reason it will not connect to my hotspot via my wireless tether app. The light on the adapter stays on as if it is connected, but it never connects to my app. HELP!

I have talked to the mad catz customer support, but they cannot help me because it is discontinued. The end result I am trying to achieve is to be able to hook my directv box to the internet using my mobile data. It's unlimited so I'm not worried about running over. 

If anyone can help me with my mad catz problem, I will send some swag. It shouldn't be a tough thing to hook up. I just can not figure it out. IDK, maybe it's not compatible with a mobile hotspot. They both work off of 802.11n antennas. 

Edited by matthew428, 25 March 2014 - 01:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

teather app and hot spot are different. Teathered = wired. Hot spot = your phone is a wireless router.

When you set up the hot spot on your phone you gave it a name and a password, it's the phone's SSID and pass code for the wireless. Your directv should find it and be able to connect just as it would a wireless router, by entering the password you provided. So I don't think you'd need your madcatz thing.

I have no experience with teathering because I just do the hot spot thing.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 matthew428

matthew428
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

Maybe I shouldn't have put the word tether in there. It is a mobile hotspot. No wires. When I am home, I have everything connected to it. 

My directv dvr doesn't have wifi built in it unfortunately. This pic is the one that I have.

Attached Files

• Attached File  dvr.jpg   4.24KB   0 downloads

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

AH ok....so the madcatz is just a wireless bridge so things without wireless but with an ethernet cable can get connected wireless. I understand now. 

Ok this guy is REALLY annoying but I already know what he's doing. Don't bother with his first video all he does is unbox it and talk. Where this starts he has it plugged into power and is plugging a cat5 cable into his PC so he can access it to do the setup,

I am assuming you did all this yeah? Is it giving you an error? Once it's connected and you get a green check are you saying you don't see it as connected on your phone? Mine will show how many clients I have connected.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 matthew428

matthew428
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

" Once it's connected and you get a green check are you saying you don't see it as connected on your phone? Mine will show how many clients I have connected."

Exactly. I have the adapter "activated" and green checked in the adapter settings. All the activity lights come on like it is connected to my hotspot, but in my mobile hotspot app called "wireless tether" it never shows that the client has connected. 

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

and what happens when you connect it to the directv box? 

I don't use an app...mine is built in. have you looked at the built in one on your phone?

#7 matthew428

matthew428
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

It doesn't connect. I am thinking that the app will have to see where it is connected before the dvr can connect, right?

I can't use the pre-installed software because I do not pay for it. I have verizon and they charge for everything. It's why my phone is rooted so I don't have to pay to use my hotspot. 

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

Try a different app....saw this and thought it might help.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 25 March 2014 - 03:42 PM.

#9 matthew428

matthew428
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

I'll try it out tonight and get back with you. Thanks. 

#10 matthew428

matthew428
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

OK, so last night I just restarted everything. Rebooted my phone and turned on the hotspot. Then I reset the adapter and reprogrammed it with my mobile hotspot. After that, I unplugged my directv dvr and plugged in the adapter to the back of it. Turned the dvr back and let it reboot and when it finally rebooted and reconnected with the satellites a message came up saying that I was connected to the internet. Praise the Lord! lol. Thanks cavedweller for your help!

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

I'm not sure I did anything but I'm glad it's working =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users