Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer not booting possibly due to overheating

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dakillerz

dakillerz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:32 AM

So I Have a 10 years old computer with worst specs available :P (I am a student and my parents don't find a good reason to buy a new one as they don't use it). Since a few weeks, its cpu started to power down due to a thermal event (overheating).I didn't take it very seriously in the beginning and just allowed it to cool down for some time and it started working just fine (except for a beeping sound on the first start after thermal event). After a few days, it started overheating frequently and I searched the internet for possible causes. I cleaned it thoroughly from motherboard to heatsinks and power supply. Although the situation became worse. Now it starts and is barely able to show desktop screen before it powers down again, and when I try turning it on again it makes a beeping sound same as the one it made before. The sound is somewhat like the police or firetruck siren. When I turn it on again after giving it some time (usually 15 minutes) it is again able to show the desktop. Sometimes I am able to work for 10 seconds before the cpu powers itself down again (same old story). I tried cleaning it again but it had no effect. Anyone with solution???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:06 AM

Do you see the processor fan spinning?  If it is Ok then I think you should try removing the fan assembly from the CPU clean with alcohol and apply new thermal paste.  It does dry out and get crusty, it may fix your problem.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

Mainboard have autoshutdown on their system to protect your mainboard gets burn.
it's better to check on BIOS what temperature on your mainboard but hope your mainboard BIOS have this if not you need to run a temperature reading software, if you temperature more than 70 C its better to buy and replace new heatsink fan :wink:

*if you need tutorial about how to check temp you could read this http://www.wikihow.com/Monitor-CPU-Temperature

Edited by abauw, 25 March 2014 - 12:15 PM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users