Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old network card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 A-IT(ech)

A-IT(ech)

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

Hello my friend need to replace his network  card but he dont have lot of money..

He found an old pc that he had that uses windows97.. is there any possibility this old network card can work to his new pc?

And generrally how i can understand if a card its fine for my pc.. is there any socket problems? etc?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

Slots can be different the only way to tell is to remove both and compare, whether or not it will work depends on if the drivers are accepted by the current system.  I have had reasonable luck hodge podging parts, only trying will tell!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

I think network (LAN) card quite cheap, I usually buy new for less than $5 and if not new less than $2, but that was on my country not in US :wink:

if you friend doesnt have lots of money it's better to buy a cheap one, but mainboard have onboard network? does it have malfunction? if that network card still working just stick on that except you friend want a wireless network card.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

Since your friend's computer is new, I suspect it's not a network card you are asking about but a wireless network card

--- Either way, I don't recall the wireless technologies in the Windows 97 days that were around back then but it wouldn't surprise me if the old network card do not support all of todays b/g/n Gigabyte protocols (although its possible it will still work)

--- So he could buy a USB network adapter, preferably USB wireless adapter to be in tune with the new computers wireless access capability

Usualy a brand name wireless USB network adapter runs $25 - $40

--- Also there are generic USB wireless adapters available on eBay for about $5

------ I just biought one and it runs excellently

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users