Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PhantaC

PhantaC

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:04 AM

Hi anyone ,

I need help on how to connect two PCs together using a crosswire cable. I bought one from the computer store but could not manage to get it through. Can anyone guide me with the steps, please?

Thanks

PhantaC (PNG)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:20 PM

First off I would like to welcome you to Bleeping Computer. I hope you find everything you need and if you do not please fell free to start a topic in the appropriate forum.

I would encourage you to purchase a router. This will allow you to setup a LAN with little or no trouble and when you go to High Speed Internet, DSL or Cable, all you will have to do is connect to the modem. Here is a Netgear wireless 4 port router for only $25, and that includes shipping. It will save you lots of head aces.

If you insist on a crossover cable, run the Network Setup Wizard and select the option to connect two computers directly with a cable.

Edited by acklan, 17 May 2006 - 12:26 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 DarkRaika

DarkRaika

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:41 PM

It sounds like you may be jumping into Networking for the first time so I'l give you a quick run down on what you need to know.

What is Cross Over Vs Striaght Through Cable?

There are 8 coloured wires within your CAT5 Cable (assuming). Here is a map of the pins for you to understand:

Pin - 1: Green & White
Pin - 2: Green
Pin - 3: Orange & White
Pin - 4: Blue
Pin - 5: Blue & White
Pin - 6: Orange
Pin - 7: Brown & White
Pin - 8: Brown

This is a basic layout of what you will see when you look closely at the plug end on a CAT5 Cable.

One end will look like that and the other will look exactly the same if it is a Straight Through Cable.

If its a Cross Over Cable then one end will look like that and the other will have Pins 1 & 3 swapped also Pins 2 & 6 are swapped at the other end.

When do I use a Cross Over or Straight Through Cable?

To answer that question is very simple. You use a Cross Over Cable when networking 2 computers together from one Network Card in one computer to another.

A 3rd piece of the puzzle is needed when using a Straight Through Cables and this is either a Hub, Switch or Router .... maybe a 4 Port Modem. A Box Networking device of some sort that you connect the Network Cards from computers to. Keep in mind that if you decided to learn how to crimp your own network cables there is a limit to the length you can make a CAT5 cable which is around about 80 metres, which is the length limit I use.

Do some research on what Hubs/Switchs/Routers are and you should have all the pieces now. Enjoy your Networking experience. :thumbsup:

DR

31337 is a prime number .... 1337 is not .... go figure!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users