Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi i got a problem with AVG safe search

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 balsaplayer

balsaplayer

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

Hi i have been using AVG free for about 2 years now but over the last 4 weeks i think since the last update  i keep getting the AVG Nation search engine  when i open a new tab in firefox ver 27.0.1 i did what it said on AVG help and support  and uninstalled using control panel  also in control panel is AVG pc tune up but when i try to uninstall i get an error message saying missing file so AVG safe search/Nation is no longer showing in control panel but when i open a new tab after closing and restarting firefox i still get the AVG nation search page  and if i search  the address does not show in the navigation bar  it just says search. so i used the special program AVG says on thier support page to remove  avg nation  but still it is on firfox all that program did was wipe out my chrome browser so i had to reinstall chrome. i searched  looking for an answer  to this problem and found awdcleaner so i used that and it found AVG nation  so i cleaned but still avg naqtion is on firefox but if i go into tools/options on firefox and press HELP a new firfox start page opens and if i open a new tab  on that no avg nation but if i open firefox from the shortcut on my destop/start menu  avg nation is back again HELP PLease

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

AVG Security Toolbar and AVG Secure Search (created by the makers of AVG Anti-virus) are optional add-ons when installing their anti-virus product if you choose "Customized" install instead of "Express". Since most folks choose an Express install they usually are not aware these options are also being installed as they are pre-checked by default during installation. Some users have also reported that after AVG auto-updates, it will install the toolbar as a browser add-on without input from the user.

AVG Security Toolbar and AVG Secure Search are also commonly bundled as an option with other free software users may download and install. Many folks overlook that option since it is pre-checked by default and they unknowingly install it. For example, the toolbar is bundled with PDFCreator.

So even if you decline the option to use these add-ons when installing AVG anti-virus, you may still end up finding them on your system some point after an AVG update or by unknowingly downloading and installing another program where they have been bundled. This also explains how those who never used AVG anti-virus also sometimes find AVG Secure Search and the Security Toolbar installed. Be careful what you download and read everything during the installation.

* How To Disable AVG Secure Search Provider In Browsers
* How to uninstall AVG Secure Search in Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome
* How To Disable AVG Search From New Tab
* How to remove AVG Toolbar, Homepage and Secure Search from your browser with AVG Browser Configuration Tool

Nation Toolbar is a browser add-on which includes AVG Secure Search. Although it uses AVG in its name and bundles AVG Secure Search, the Nation Toolbar is not actually related to AVG.

When searching for suspicious files/toolbars, new malware or malware removal assistance (and removal guides) on the Internet, it is not unusual to find numerous hits from untrustworthy and scam sites which mis-classify detections or provide misleading information. This is deliberately done more as a scam to entice folks into buying an advertised fix or removal tool. In some cases if the fix is a free download, users may be enticed to download a malicious file or be redirected to a malicious web site. In other cases you are referred to contact the site's Tech Support for assistance which is only provided for a fee.

How do I uninstall Nation Toolbar from Windows and browsers?
How do I uninstall the AVG Nation toolbar?
Avg.Nation.com removal guide

If the vendor's uninstall instructions above or the removal guide did not help, then see the instructions I provided in this topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 balsaplayer

balsaplayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

Hi thanks for the reply  i have done everything you suggested  i do but did not work still have avg  when i open a new tab  so  i went to your link Avg.Nation.com removal guide and  did everything there downloaded and used AWD cleaner then downloaded and used  the junkware utility  and also the malwarebytes program i finally  used the hitman pro  and that did find a few traces but reported no malicious programs  so i restarted firefox but when i open new tab avg nation search is still there  HELP PLEASE

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,567 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

If resetting Firefox to all defaults does not resolve the problem you can try removing your user profile and perform a clean Unininstall/Reinstall of Firefox.

1. Uninstall Firefox via Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, then reboot. Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable which does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

Uninstalling Firefox with the default options does not remove your user profile, which includes personal information such as bookmarks, passwords and cookies. If you also want to remove this information, you should remove the folder that contains your Firefox profile, which is stored in a separate location from the Firefox program.

Uninstalling Firefox

This step is only recommended if you want to completely remove Firefox from your system, and you do not want to save any of your data. This will remove your Firefox user profile data, which includes bookmarks, passwords, cookies, preference settings and added extensions.

Removing user profile data

2. Delete all of the following folders if they exist:

Windows 7:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Mozilla Firefox
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Extensions
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox

Windows XP:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Mozilla
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Extensions
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

Note:
%AppData%\Mozilla\ <- Delete the Firefox subfolder in the Mozilla folder. If you don't have any other Mozilla applications (i.e. Seamonkey, Thunderbird), then it is safe to delete the entire Mozilla folder.
%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\ <- Delete the Firefox subfolder in the Mozilla folder. If you don't have any other Mozilla applications (i.e. Seamonkey, Thunderbird), then it is safe to delete the entire Mozilla folder.

-- If you cannot find some of the folder(s), you may have to reconfigure Windows to show hidden files, folders.

3. Reboot and reinstall Firefox.

#5 balsaplayer

balsaplayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

Hi thanks for the reply i thought it would come to removing firefox and doing a clean install of firefox could i save my settings for firefox like  my favourites and passwords or would that also save the problem avg ? i have used a programe before to save firefox settings but do not want to save again if it will also save the avg nation

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,567 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

The problem with some of this junkware is that it installs itself in various areas of the computer, registry and browser settings which makes it difficult to find everything that needs to be removed.

You can try this...Back up and restore information in Firefox profiles.

If AVG Nation returns you will have to go through the process again but skip that part.

#7 balsaplayer

balsaplayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:08 AM

Hi thanks for all your help and links  i removed everything including the mozilla folder from my system and did clean install and only saved my favourites and cookies and password files and transfered them to the new firefox  AVG nation has gone now

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,567 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:17 AM

You're welcome.