Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Back Into PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 linuxpowers

linuxpowers

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

I started noticing some issues with my windows 7 computer so I decided to shut it down and restart. I wanted to run some malware scanners but once I went through the boot process, I wasn't able to get back to the user account login screen. Windows shows it's starting but then goes black and then my monitor power light starts flashing.

I've tried booting into safe mode and it will let me get to my user login screen but then I loose my keyboard usage! Can't type in the password!

I've tried using a windows 7 repair disc but after windows loads it's files, the screen goes black and just sits there.

I've tried loading last know good startup but same thing....screen goes blank.

I've tried startup repair and the screen goes blank as well!

I've tried using the original install disc and it just loads it's files, brings up the "Starting Windows" screen and the microsoft pulsing symbol and then just sits there...nothing further!

Not sure if this a malware/hardware or what issue, that's why I posted in this thread first!

Currently, I'm using a linux system computer sitting next to the windows 7 system computer right now to communicate.

Edited by hamluis, 25 March 2014 - 05:34 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

AMD FX-8120 Zambezi | GeForceGTX550Ti | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 | ASUS M5A99X Evo | Windows 7HE SP1....or something like that!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 linuxpowers

linuxpowers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

Got up this morning and thought I would try something. I have an Disc with Ubuntu on it which will allow the opportunity to run Ubuntu from the disc before installing it. I turned on the windows 7 computer, stuck in the Ubuntu disc, changed boot order and started up Ubuntu. Everything came up and Ubuntu was able to see all hard drives installed. I went through each hard drive to see if it would open and each one opened and showed their contents.

Now, I told Ubuntu to shut down the computer. Once it finished unloading, it pushed out the disc tray and told me to remove media and hit enter. Once I did that, it shut the system completely down. Just to see what would happen, I rebooted normally and windows did the same thing, went to the "Starting Windows" screen and then went blank...the monitor power light started blinking. But, when I came over to this other computer to type in what I was trying, I looked back at the windows 7 computer and it was sitting at the user login screen! I went over and was able to type in my password and my user account came up??? Starting to think my hard drive is going out!

I've been pretty anal about malware for the past couple years so I'm not to sure I have any malware issues...course I could have let something slide in but I'm leaning on the hard drive getting defective. I have a WD 500 GB installed for the system files...drive C:\, a WD 500 GB installed as a backup/personal file storage disc...drive D:\, and a third WD 500 GB I just aquired in drive E:\. If I determine the main system drive is going out, can I replace it with a new one and reinstall the operating system from the original install disc without any registering issues from MS? And, is it possible to replace it with an SSD?

BTW, until I figure this out, I'm running MBAM and then I'll try SuperAntiSpyware again to see what comes up. Now that I think about it, when I ran SAS the first time, it kept giving me an issue when it would bring up the list of drives to scan...it kept saying in red at the bottom of the list, "Propogating List", or something like that but, all the active drives were listed! Could it be that it was having issues with drive C:\ as well?

AMD FX-8120 Zambezi | GeForceGTX550Ti | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 | ASUS M5A99X Evo | Windows 7HE SP1....or something like that!

#3 linuxpowers

linuxpowers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:57 AM

OK, I ran SpeedFan and had it check on my Hard Drive. It also lets you perform an in-depth analysis of the Hard Drive on-line. The following is what SpeedFan is telling me:

BLOCKING ISSUE : your hard disk has 1 pending sectors. Those are sectors that couldn't be properly read and that the hard disk logic is waiting for a write operation to try to remap to a spare sector (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.
BLOCKING ISSUE : your hard disk has 1 offline uncorrectable sectors. Those are sectors that an offline scanning found as unreadable. Offline scanning is a process that can be automatically started by the hard disk logic when a long enough idle period is detected or that can be forced by some tool. Those unreadable sectors are identified and the hard disk logic is waiting for a write command that will overwrite them to try to remap them to spare sectors (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.
The overall fitness for this drive is 0%.
The overall performance for this drive is 97%.

Any suggestions for a good "tool"?

#4 linuxpowers

linuxpowers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

OK, it appears I have some work to do. It seems my hard drive is going out on me. I've had SpeedFan run two tests, a Short Test which indicates "no error" and then an Extended Test which indicates a "read failure". I've also noticed during the boot process that my motherboard LED for "boot device" stays red for some time before the hard drive will activate. All this is pointing, at least to me, that a hard drive failure is becoming more eminent! This HD is only 2 years old, and I thought it would last at least twice that long...WD Caviar!

At any rate, since this is drive, C:\, and contains my windows installation, I really need to make some decisions quickly. First of all, I'm going to the local store and picking up a replacement HD. Then, I'll make the switch, reinstall windows and then restore a backup from the backup HD? Does all that sound about right?

Can anyone confirm my plan or maybe point out any oversights?

#5 linuxpowers

linuxpowers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:08 AM

Alright, I am back up an running!

I created one more backup/image on my internal backup disk, took out the systems disk I was having issues with, and installed a new 1TB WD HD in it's place. I booted up from my blue-ray for which I had inserted a windows repair disk that I made when I first installed this OS. From there, I just re-imaged the computer and waited for it to finish. Once it was done, I was already at the log-in screeen, entered my password and bang, I'm back in!

I also went to partition to extend the new disk from the old 500gb to 1tb. So far, all is well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users