Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP from United States, Server in Singapore (Asia)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kindleman

kindleman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:53 AM

I have a hosted site with provider "Siteground".

I also have specific I need a server to be hosted in Asia, as my clients are mainly in China. (you may have know China have "China Great Firewall", blocking out or having alot of issues with U.S server)

However, after purchased Asia server plan with Siteground, they told me my IP will still reflect as U.S, while actually my hosting is in Singapore. 
Question:

1. Is it true this is possible?
2. Since China is having trouble with U.S server, does it make sense for my IP to still route to "U.S IP" while it is returning traffic actually from Singapore?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

Yes, its possible if the ISP lists that ip addresses as being in the US. IP addresses are not allocated by country but by organization. These ip addresses can be routed wherever an owner wants.

Actually hosting a web site in china for a non-china organization may prove to be difficult. If you are concerned about speed for your Chinese customers, you should just be concerned where the site is located and not the IP address that is being used.

Here's more info on how geo ip works:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1996106/how-does-ip-geolocating-work

#3 kindleman

kindleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:53 PM

Thanks Admin =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic