Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What type of home network will connect XP and Win7 notebooks?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:48 AM

I want to connect an XP notebook and a Win 7 notebook in the easiest to setup home network possible, but I'm confused about which type of network I can use (because of XP's limitations). I know Win 7 has better networking but if it can't be utilized to connect with my other XP notebook I really don't want to waste my time trying to understand it. I know about ad hoc, but these computers won't be that close to each other in the house. I already have a D-Link 601? (the most basic of routers) up and running and I see that both computers see it's signal. There will be no internet in this network. It will mostly be for transferring files. What I'm interested in is knowing the term for the type of network I would need. I'll do the research, but because I'm terrible at networking I'd appreciate someone telling me the 'type' of network I'd need to set up. There seem to be so many formats and protocols out there I waste my time trying to figure out a type of network only to find out I can't use it to connect XP and Win 7 notebooks. How that made sense. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

I share between XP and 7 all day long. Just set up sharing on XP and 7 and more than likely they'll find each other. You don't have to worry about all the stuff that happens behind the scenes. And normally when you set it up it will make changes to the firewalls on both to take care of that.

In a very broad term it's a peer to peer network with a central concentrater(your home router/switch) In XP terms it's simple file sharing. In 7 it's a private network.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

Thanks CaveDweller2.

That sounds encouraging.

At least now I have the terms to search for information on.

................................................................................................

I did find this tutorial, which involves the same machine setups and OS's that I have, except for the the router.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

I'll give it a try.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

Good luck....if ya get stuck please ask =)

Edited by CaveDweller2, 25 March 2014 - 02:53 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users