Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU Causing PC to Restart

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zolton34

zolton34

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:15 AM

Ok so i have had this gpu for about a year or so now. And i never really had a problem until recently. It played games such as planetside 2 and even elder scrolls online decently. Now i took a break from gaming for a few months just messing around with facebook games and old school runescape.

Now when i just the other day tried to launch planetside 2 i loaded and as soon as i entered the game so i could deploy my pc restarted. I thought well that was odd. So i downloaded HWMonitor and tried launching the game again. When it restarted i quickly launched HWMonitor and it was reading 80 degrees celsius.

So i thought well maybe now is time for a cleaning. So i took my pc apart blew out all the dust made sure it was completely clean and all wires were put back in place to keep it cooled. And tried again. Same result. So i took my GPU out and looked more closely and again used can air to clean it more thoroughly. Retried the game for the same result.

So i tried launching everquest a lot less intensive of a game and again as soon as the game loaded it restarted. I've narrowed it down to the gpu over heating causing the restarts as the cpu remains steady. And even on a restart stays veruy cool.

My case has 4 fans 1 in the front i use as an intake 1 120mm on the side for exhaust and 2 80mm on the back used as exhaust and 1 80mm on top used as an exhaust.. I tried switching the 120mm fan on the side to intake and it sounded awful and did not alleviate the temps at all.

So now i'm scratching my head wondering then whether or not my card is just going bad? Or if there is any other fix i can do. Now under HWMonitor under Fans PWM it does show a system fan running only at 50% and i'm not sure which fan that is unless its the gpu fan.

I'm thinking about just buying another better gpu to replace this one (i bought this one mainly as a temporary solution). Although my concern is if it is not the gpu just going bad then i'm throwing money away for nothing and the problem would persist with the new gpu. I'm looking at maybe getting a 6670 or a r7 240.

My system specs are:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3fnqt

And i am using windows xp home and using a cheap dvd burner. And yes i already plan to upgrade to windows 7 64 asap (ordering it April 1).

So any thoughts or recommendations?

My main concern is that it may not be the gpu going bad. If that is the case i'd be buying a new gpu and wasting money in the process. I've not had much experience with discrete gpu's so i'm unsure if some just go bad and start running hot or if its some thing else that could be causing it. I'd tried everything i can think of to lower the temps when games are running without much luck. So any ideas on what else i could try? I also tried older drivers for the gpu without any luck. And i could not find any setting under my control in my nvidia drivers to control the gpu fan so i'm unsure if that is a possibility or not.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:17 AM

The PC won't restart because of the overheating GPU - at least not on Windows 7 or 8. First suggestion would be to upgrade asap, so that you can prevent these restarts in the future.

Second, upgrade the video driver to the latest version.

Third, you say you cleaned out the cooling fan on the GPU - but have you verified the fan actually works?

Next, assuming the fan works, try replacing the TIM between the GPU heatsink and the GPU itself.

Lastly, check your power supply, make sure it is working correctly.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#3 zolton34

zolton34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:23 AM

The gpu idles around 49-59 degrees celsius. My cpu idles around 36-40 degrees celsius. My gpu is hitting above 100 degrees celsius when it is restarting. Just surfing the web and listening to a video and playing a facebook game my temp has been hitting high occassionally up to 73 degrees celsius.. In graphics intensive games my gpu is hitting very high very fast the second that a game is fully loaded.

I've tried running my pc with the side off and the temps go 1-3 degrees higher then if the side is on. And i've made no hardware changes at all. And i have tried the latest drivers. And i've tried older drivers. And my gpu while it has a fan attached does not allow for the control of that fans speed.

My case fans are arranged to push more air out then in. 1 in the front down low to draw in cooler air and 2 on the rear 1 on top and 1 on the side to push the air out. I had tried switching the one on the side to intake directly on the card itself as it is parallel with the cases side fan and about 4 inches from the side fan itself (i have a huge tower) and that did nothing to change the temps at all.

And if the gpu is the only component in my system running hot how is it not the culprit? My cpu never jumps above 50 degrees celsius the max on my cpu is 81 degrees celsius. My bios also does not have an option to set the shut down temp on the cpu as i have checked into it repeatedly and my cpu was the first culprit i thought of due to the pc restarting. So i monitored it repeatedly.

I launch a game. The second it fully loads where you can actually play the game my monitor goes black says no signal/input being received and within a few seconds after that my pc restarts. This also clued me in on the fact my gpu stops just before the restart. My fear is that it some how may be the pci express slot in my pc or my gpu going bad. If its my gpu for sure replacing it be fine and easy as i plan to any way. But if its the mobo for some odd reason i'm worried that i may experience the same exact thing if i buy a new gpu. My voltages are consistent with no huge drops or spikes so its not the psu. So maybe now you can see why i'm scratching my head trying to figure this out.

#4 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

Somehow you managed to reply without reading many of the key steps.

Ensure the FAN on the video card is working. AT ALL.

Replace the thermal material between the GPU and the HEATSINK. - I say this for two reasons. ONE, is that TIM can degrade over time. TWO, this ensures you take the time to reseat the heatsink and fan.

What I said above was for multiple reasons.

1. As long as your heatsink and fan are working correctly, you card should never heat up.

2. in the event that your HSF are in place, and working, and you are still over heating, then very likely POWER delivery is the culprit. Either the PSU is malfunctioning then, OR the VRM's on the card are bad.

3. GPU failures in Windows 7 and 8 force the driver to reset, not take out the system. This aids in troubleshooting.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#5 zolton34

zolton34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

I did check the gpu was clean and that the fan spun freely. I just had not checked that the fan was working or not while in the system. I took a mirror and a flashlight and checked the fan and saw the fan was not turning so moved it a bit with my finger and now it is working just fine without a problem. And windows xp is different then windows 7 or 8 and that is the system we are talking about. When it detected the overheating from the gp it restarted the pc to protect the components within the system. So yes an over heating gpu will cause a pc to restart especially windows xp systems. And on a side note more exhaust fans then intake decreases the amount of dust within a system and keeps a system cool by repeatedly flushing out hot air decreasing hot air pockets within a system. Which is why i chose a more exhaust based system over an intake one.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:07 PM

Replace the GPU fan it will stop again!!!!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

I did check the gpu was clean and that the fan spun freely. I just had not checked that the fan was working or not while in the system. I took a mirror and a flashlight and checked the fan and saw the fan was not turning so moved it a bit with my finger and now it is working just fine without a problem. And windows xp is different then windows 7 or 8 and that is the system we are talking about. When it detected the overheating from the gp it restarted the pc to protect the components within the system. So yes an over heating gpu will cause a pc to restart especially windows xp systems. And on a side note more exhaust fans then intake decreases the amount of dust within a system and keeps a system cool by repeatedly flushing out hot air decreasing hot air pockets within a system. Which is why i chose a more exhaust based system over an intake one.

You mentioned you were upgrading to Windows 7 - my point was, do it quickly. It is far easier to troubleshoot a system that doesn't restart. XP restarts if you fart the wrong way.

If your fan died, as mentioned above me, it will continue to do so. Also worth noting, is that if the fan died, then just getting it spinning may not be enough, as it may not be getting up to speeds high enough to move enough air. You asked why it was overheating, that is likely why. Replace the fan.

There have always been debates over the merits of vacuum vs pressure based cooling in a PC. You know what the real truth is? Good airflow. It doesn't matter if you have pressure or a vacuum, as long as air has a easy path to flow through. It is worth noting, that this isn't my first rodeo in cooling buddy. I have an Antec 1200 I use to keep a heavily OC'd Intel 760 cool with dual video card. It is easily bringing in more air than the exhaust fans can deal with. Doesn't matter really, as it has open vents in the back, and that air can easily escape. I also have a Cooler Master HAF XB - with more intake than exhaust - and again, the same situation. Running an overclocked AMD 955 in there for the moment, and no problems with heat in that machine either.

But then again, all of my fans are working...

Edited by waldojim42, 26 March 2014 - 08:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users