Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why you would want to share files in your network or need to?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:30 AM

hi, hi
here is something for you that may be puzzling --

because i am not sure why you would want to share files in your network or need to.

so the question is, why you would want to share files in your network or need to?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:54 AM

Disclaimer. . . I don't use network shares; I find technologies like Dropbox to be easier to configure and more extensible.

That being said, using network shares can be useful for some people. Essentially, a properly configured network share gives you the ability to grab files from your desktop while you're on your laptop across the house. The key however is making sure that they are properly configured and limited. Otherwise they turn into a massive security hole. IMHO, it's not worth the risk, but you can see why the feature exists. It was much more popular in the era before widespread high speed Internet, and the advent of recent file transfer technologies.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 TechieGuy

TechieGuy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:33 AM

I know several people that use a NAS for storage - especially if they have hundreds of gigabytes of data. By doing so, they are free to reimage/reformat their computer without fear of accidentally deleting data, and they can also share the data - as Blade mentioned - across multiple computers. Solutions such as DropBox and other cloud storage solutions may not be viable with such large amount of data.

I have 500 GB of data that I have backed up, but I have it on an external hard drive that is only on and connected when I need the data. I have thought about a NAS, but I like to keep things simple.

Of course, a NAS will need to be properly configured - especially with user rights - to protect the data it stores.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

I see you're making the rounds...
TomsHardware: Why would you want to share files in your network, or need to?
ZoneAlarm: Why would you want to share files in your network, or need to?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

One scenario I've seen quite a few times. Large family with multiple devices. Shares folders with their various projects, photos, calendars as well as other information relevant to their particular family.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:44 PM

:lmao: hey blade,
wow, you have a really cool avatar bro!!

"Otherwise they turn into a massive security hole."
so this means that cloud and online storage web sites are not safe then?
and by "properly configured", you mean like having a SECURITY PROGRAM?
or would this be like adding the web site to your "exception list", and turning up the security on everything else?

hi TechieGuy, thanks for the reply,

never heard of NAS -- this is online storage?

"have hundreds of gigabytes of data"
intersting -- i never ran into this problem, but i can see how this could be an issue, as it would be difficult to try and back up this much data!!

"I like to keep things simple."
i like your moto.

:birthday: quietman7, howdy,

here's a round for everyone.
this one's on the house.
drink up.

its party time.

how is Animal? oh cool, good to see you!

"with multiple devices. Shares folders with their various projects"
ah, working on team workout projects.
much like what a business would do.

but multiple devices, now that is curious. hmmm.

SECURITY

Edited by James T Kirk, 25 March 2014 - 11:45 PM.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

Multiple devices in a household? Dad has a desktop, laptop, tablet, phone. Mom has a similar collection. 2, 3 or more kids and their computers, phones and game consoles. That's a lot of devices.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#8 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:05 AM

hello Animal, thanks for the reply,

oh, i see. i understand now. that a potentally lot of files. this would make it kind of interesting -- to look at/watch/listen to something else that one of your family/other people on the same network had on their "device".
okay, now that's starting to sound kind of cool, especially when everyone keeps getting stuff: there's always new stuff to look at.

i figured it out. :guitar:

hey, by the way people keep talking about "NAS". you ever heard of it?

and do you think "cloud" is safe?

White Hat :step2:

#9 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:41 AM

"Otherwise they turn into a massive security hole."
so this means that cloud and online storage web sites are not safe then?

I was specifically referring to network shares, not cloud storage in that case. But, if you don't use proper passwords and other basic security practices in your cloud storage, then it can become a security risk as well.

and by "properly configured", you mean like having a SECURITY PROGRAM?
or would this be like adding the web site to your "exception list", and turning up the security on everything else?

By properly configured, I don't really mean having a "security program." What I mean is having your share set up so that only the people you want to access it can do so, and that you restrict access to only a few specific folders so that people accessing your network share can't touch everything on your computer. 

never heard of NAS -- this is online storage?

NAS stands for Network Accessible Storage. It's the technical term for sharing a folder on your network.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#10 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:40 AM

HEY blade, what up dude? :thumbup2:

i never heard of the term, "network shares".
i not quite sure what this is, but i would assume that it is similar to p2p (PnP), because i guess its not necessarily someone on the same network as you.
i don't know, i'm just a beginner to the network thing, so i'm not sure what "being" on the same network even means anymore.

oh, i see, i just remembered. i guess there is a difference between "private" network and no your same network.
ok, so this is the distinction...

"you restrict access to only a few specific folders"
oh wow, you can do that? i didn't even know that that was possible.
i thought that if you have someone the "trusted" level that they had a FULL run of your computer!
if you could enlighten me as how to do this, i would be very grateful.

White Hat
SECURITY

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:48 AM

Shared resource (network share)
Creating a Network Share
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

I forgot to add some smart TV's can access a NAS/Home network for sharing videos/pictures/downloads from the web if the smart TV is browser enabled. Which almost all are. That's if they are truly a 'smart' TV.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#13 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:00 AM

quietman7, hi. thanks for the reply.

i appreciate the links bro. you are very very helpful in your taciturn sort of way.

quote by James T Kirk
'a wise man is sometimes a man of few words, where each word has the meaning of a thousand'

hey Animal, alright, glad you made it!

"I forgot to add some smart TV's can access a NAS/Home network for sharing videos/pictures/downloads from the web if the smart TV is browser enabled. Which almost all are. That's if they are truly a 'smart' TV. "
i thought you had to have a  PCI card to watch "live stream" tv.
i've been waiting for a long time to be able to WATCH "live stream" tv on my computer :bounce:

i know how to watch already played shows, 1 at a time, but not "live stream", or in a ROW.

Edited by James T Kirk, 29 March 2014 - 03:00 AM.

#14 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

I forgot to add some smart TV's can access a NAS/Home network for sharing videos/pictures/downloads from the web if the smart TV is browser enabled. Which almost all are. That's if they are truly a 'smart' TV.

Philips smart TVs can be attacked via default wireless connection. http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9247284/Philips_smart_TVs_can_be_attacked_via_default_wireless_connection?taxonomyId=17

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

I know that. That's not the point I was trying to make with my suggestions. He asked why would you share. I only suggested ways and the devices it can be done with and by. The discussion regarding security surrounding all the ways to share and the devices you would use is a different conversation.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users