Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive crashed afetr 6 weeks - why?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Computer Buffoon

Computer Buffoon

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:13 PM

I have a 2010 Acer Aspire AM5910 Desktop computer.  It has an Intel Core i5-650 3.2 GHZ processor and 6GB RAM.  The operating system is Windows 7.

In late January, the computer wouldn’t boot into windows, and the hard drive crashed.  I replaced it with a new hard drive (a Seagate 1TB SATA, 7200 RPM – same capacity and speed as the previous hard drive, although the previous drive was by a different manufacturer).

I restored the OS and all software/data, and the computer was running fine.  The computer speed was fine.  Suddenly, after 6 weeks, the computer started slowing down, and then after about two days, it wouldn’t boot into Windows again.

I took the computer to Staples, where I bought the hard drive, and they agreed to test only the hard drive for free (otherwise, their charge would have been $70 to run complete diagnostics).  They said that the hard drive failed the linear test.

Seagate replaced the hard drive, as it was still under warranty, but before I re-install it, I wanted to find out if it was likely that it was simply a bad Seagate drive, or if something else is likely (such as overvoltage from the power supply).  We have the computer plugged into a Smart UPS that regulates incoming power, but that doesn’t mean that the power supply is not supplying steady DC on the inside.

I don’t want to put much money into a 3.5 year old computer – it could be nearing the end of its lifespan.

Does this sound like the second (new) hard drive was faulty?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:32 PM

Not likely, you need to check the voltage coming from the PSU.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:05 AM

Windows 7 is supported until Jan 14 2020; that's almost 6 more years

I'd recommend running Seagate's free hard drive diagnostic tool when you have your new hard drive installed and running

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Then consider a 2nd opinion hard drive diagnostic tool

--- Maybe the free HDDScan http://hddscan.com/ I haven't used it but you can check it out

You mention "if something else is likely (such as overvoltage from the power supply)"

--- As OldPhil mentioned: "you need to check the voltage coming from the PSU"

Is there a reason to bring up that issue?

--- If so, maybe SpinRite https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm is the program for you to include

--- I haven't used it but I believe one of my friends told me it includes plenty of technical information but check it out as it might include the electrical readings

--- It costs a few dollars but for an OS that will be supported for almost 6 more years, the ROI is minimal even if you have to invest into a new power supply

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:25 AM

Personally, ive never had or seen anyone have much luck with seagate drives. They have been one of the most faulty i have seen in all my years but then again others swear by them.

#5 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

I have Seagate's for my internal Desktop and a couple of external's.  No problems so far in about 3 years.  They get a workout on my Desktop with overnight full AV scans and cloning every couple of weeks.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,318 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

I've been involved with computers for over two decades professionally.  It isn't a question of if your hard drive will fail, only when will it fail.  All drive manufacturers have had issues with their drives at one point or another.  I've seen drives from all of the major manufacturers fail.  Backblaze has an interesting read on hard drives.

The good pricing on Seagate drives along with the consistent, but not great, performance is why we have a lot of them.

Hitachi Drives

If the price were right, we would be buying nothing but Hitachi drives. They have been rock solid, and have had a remarkably low failure rate.

Normally I purchase based on price or warranty, Warranty won't recover my data, but it will replace the drive.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

What Kilroy said :).

Any human artifact...is not going to be perfect, particularly when mass-produced.

I'd run the SeaTools diagnostic to verify/refute the functional status of the drive.

SeaTools for DOS Tutorial - http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 March 2014 - 03:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users