Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Messing Up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lizabelle

lizabelle

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:26 AM

So since about a month ago I have noticed my computer is obviously infected with SysProtect, as I get those annoying popups every single day with certain visits to certain websites. I used to get the Winfixer pop ups too but somehow I think a program of mine got rid of them. Anyway, recently I've been trying to log onto certain websites as normal (hotmail.com for example) and my computer will go to the site but once I type my info in, it can't seem to log in correctly. I've noticed on other websites, things are SLOW, and even if it gets to the page, the page isn't loaded correctly and everything is distorted, things are missing, etc. I used a different computer to see if it was possibly the internet connection or maybe the websites themselves, but they worked fine elsewhere. I've run symantec, adaware, spybot, tried to restore my computer settings from before I thought I got the spyware. Also on pages like myspace.com, the stand alone player will not work. WHAT is going on? ALSO- it takes forever for things I type in text boxes like this + to send to go through, and through other sites, it doesn't always work.

Edited by lizabelle, 17 May 2006 - 03:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:38 AM

There are some things we can do but first lets try to pinpoint the problem and see if this is just happening while using IE. Download and install Mozilla Firefox. Try using this browser as you normally do and let me know what happens.

If Firefox works ok, then lets start with this.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
This program is for XP and Windows 2000 onlyDouble-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

If your running Win XP/2000, download and scan with Ewido Anti-Malware v3.5
Ewido Install and Scan Instructions

When done, perform this online Virus scan:
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.]
Trend Micro Housecall Scan or Trend Micro Housecall Scan for Firefox if your still having problems with IE.

Edited by quietman7, 17 May 2006 - 06:14 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 lizabelle

lizabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:39 PM

Well I downloaded Firefox and the same things seem to be happening; I don't notice any change in the previously described problems.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:50 PM

Did you use ATF cleaner and perform the recommended scans?

#5 lizabelle

lizabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:05 PM

Yeah, I did what you said. Same problems. The first scan you told me to perform found some of the Winfixer Malware, and deleted it. Both Firefox/IE are not working properly, it seems.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:17 PM

OK there must be more of this malware hiding on your system that the scans are not picking up and we need to find. The best way to do this is by using hijackthis to create a log. I suggest you read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log.

When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, not here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts.

It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy. Please be patient as they are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have no replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response, a team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

#7 lizabelle

lizabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:26 PM

See I thought about doing that already, but it seemsas if this problem is taking such an effect on my computer that I can't even seem to post messaes longer than a certain length, like it just isnt capable to send past a certain length of a message. (On this forum) But the same happened with yahoo mail. Since I couldn't get into hotmail, I tried getting into my yahoo account and it was just fine, but trying to compose an email, it would send a blank test email but as soon as I just typed in a lot of random information, it wouldn't send. Same happened on here, which is why I haven't been able to post a hijackthis log.. it just won't send. After I click the submit button it takes forever, then page can't be displayd.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:37 PM

Do you have access to another computer? You can create your log, put it on a USB stick, transfer it and then send from a computer that is working properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users