Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes version 2 released with new features & lifetime support for XP

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

Malwarebytes today released version 2.0 of their flagship product Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. This new version includes a new streamlined user interface, bundled anti-rootkit scanner, bundled Chameleon service, and detection and removal engine enhancements. With this release, the paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro has been rebranded as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium. At this time, this release is only for consumer/home users with business editions being available later in the year.

malwarebytes-antimalware-2.jpg

With the release of version 2.0 Malwarebytes now includes built-in Anti-Rootkit technology, Chameleon, and a new Heuristic engine. The anti-rootkit technology allows MBAM to search for malware that attempts to hide itself from the operating system. Though this type of technology is not new for anti-malware and anti-virus software, it is a welcome addition to Malwarebytes. Chameleon is a feature that is used to start MBAM even if there are viruses attempting to block it from running. Last, but not least the heuristics engine allows MBAM to find suspicious programs even when they are not currently in their definitions.

Malwarebytes has also stated that they will continue to support Windows XP users even after Microsoft stops supporting them. As Microsoft will no longer be issuing security updates for Windows XP after April 8, 2014, new security holes may potentially put Windows XP users at greater risk. As Malwarebytes has stated that over 20% of its user base still uses Windows XP, they are committed to continuing to offer protection for this operating system.

Last, but not least, with the introduction of version 2.0 Malwarebytes has changed their subscription model from a lifetime subscription to an annual subscription that includes protection for 3 PCs. The price remains the same at $24.95, but now requires a yearly renewal. For those who wish to continue using the 1.75 you can purchase a 2.0 license that can be used to activate the older version. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75 is still available in our download section.

For those who wish to discuss this product on a more technical level, we have created a topic dedicated to this version of the software. This topic can be found here:

Malwarebytes 2.0 Discussion Topic

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

First Hello Grinler  :love4u:

Chameleon, and a new Heuristic engine. :clapping: 

The word itself is awesome, I have read the above topic and will use it Personal to start with as of now, as the prices seems reasonable may be will also buy product in future. 

I will update my findings and if any anything interesting in the discussion topic mentioned. 

PS I would like to add you to my Google+ please add me  :flowers: 

Best Regards,

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#3 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

Question arising: would the Premium version of this product conflict with an existing antivirus product, for instance with Avast! Internet Security?  As more and more capabilities are built into anti-malware and antivirus products, and these are more and more sold as part of "suites", won't we have to become more aware of possible interactions, knowing as most of us do that having more than one antivirus product on a system, whether or not "activated", can create problems and may actually result in loss of protection?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,613 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

No there should be no issues. I personally use the latest version with ESET and am not having any issues.

#5 alfarom

alfarom

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

Don't you think this latest version looks too much like a lot of those fake anti virus/malware removers?

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

Or maybe the fakes look too much like legitimate products? Just a thought?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,613 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

I agree..it does have that tinge.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:57 AM

What about the many of us who already has a lifetime license to MBAM Pro? These are still being sold at Newegg, oftem on promo at $15 or so. Will we be allowed the latest version?

Just so happens, I have 7 of these licenses on various computers.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:06 AM

OK, I found it! Current users are allowed to upgrade.

That's great, as it's been us who has purchased these licenses for years that has kept MBAM.

Will purchase more Lifetime copies at Newegg on next promo (5 or so). I'm also running with NOD32 on 2 computers, but also with Bitdefender Total Security (Sphere package) on others. Most of my computers have dual & tri boots of Windows (total of 13 installs, including some that runs in Linux Mint virtually) & I don't put all of my security into one basket. What one may miss, another may catch.

Thanks to Grinler, the thread creater, for advising us of this.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 30 March 2014 - 01:14 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

I've started implementing this in new client's systems...though I do have one question...

In previous versions, when you checkmarked an item, it was removed, correct?

Now you only have options for "Quarantine" or "Ignore". Why not remove/delete?

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:31 AM

Netghost56, you have to go to the History tab to delete quarantined files. There, you'll see a box to check to restore/delete. By default, threats are quarantined (removed) for safety.

Just figured it out myself after reading you post, good question & point to bring up.

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users