Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand-new computer 70 processes?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 guitarguy93

guitarguy93

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

I know this is a high number of processes. Especially for a brand-new computer. Could someone help me diagnose and remove the unwanted processes? There's got to be something wrong here...I just built this computer. (I finished it Friday of last week.) I bought Panda Internet Security 2014 with it and it refuses to activate. Something tells me it has something to do with all these processes.

Edited by guitarguy93, 24 March 2014 - 05:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

processes can be that high and higher depending on your system and what is installed.

What process that, is using up resources is a concern.

the cpu is usually pretty idle most of the time.

#3 guitarguy93

guitarguy93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

They're definitely not using system resources hardly at all. I was concerned because I was having a tech from Panda Security take a look through my computer and he seemed to think that 70 was way too high for a brand-new computer. The highest I've seen my CPU spike to is still <20%.

Any ideas why my A/V wouldn't be activating? It's annoying when a tech tries to help and tells me that it's going to be $180 to get the thing activated...It was only a $25 A/V for 3 users. I'm sure it would be difficult, if not impossible for you guys to help, but it's worth a shot.

EDIT: I just realized that most of these processes are drivers. Weird...I do have a lot of stuff plugged in at different times, but I didn't think I had THAT many. Seems like a lot of them are programs to run with the hardware. No big deal since it's taking barely any CPU load.

Edited by guitarguy93, 24 March 2014 - 05:47 PM.

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

The issue with an av software not installing is probably a conflict issue. Disable any AV you have

running now then install. 

#5 guitarguy93

guitarguy93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

It installs just fine. It won't activate. First A/V on this computer. Anyone else have this problem with Panda?

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

read this.

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/panda-review.html

There are free anti-virus solutions out there that are more effective.

also,

New machines come crammed full of bloatware (especially Dell), feel free to go into your add/remove programs options from the control panel and cull away.

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:24 AM

The average for a fresh install of Win7 and a AV suite would be around 65 - 70. Odviously if you factor in OEm crapware then that can rise to 90+.

Maybe trim what starts at runtime through msconfig/startup or use the registry editor or i always use services.msc.

just rememebr a service can still run even though you select the msconfig/startup option to disabled (Its basically pointing to exe file witha  switch file.exe /startSilent)

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:20 AM

...I don't think OEM bloat is an issue here (I could be wrong tho) as the OP said it is a custom build.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:21 AM

...I don't think OEM bloat is an issue here (I could be wrong tho) as the OP said it is a custom build.

good point, I missed that.

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:37 AM

...I was concerned because I was having a tech from Panda Security take a look through my computer and he seemed to think that 70 was way too high for a brand-new computer.

...It's annoying when a tech tries to help and tells me that it's going to be $180 to get the thing activated...It was only a $25 A/V for 3 users...

I'm just guessing here but I'm willing to wager some serious coin that the tech "from Panda" that you spoke to is likely some 3rd party Tech Support company such as iYogi. That's how they operate they spot "problems" (like simple errors in Event Viewer, "too many" running processes...etc) & then try to separate you from your cash to "fix" them. See this about iYogi who was (still is? I dunno) Avast's "tech support" and got caught doing some less than honest things to generate $$$.

Again I could be wrong but you already noted the insanity of paying $180 to fix a $25 program...hence the "tech" needed to find something else to try a close the deal. Too many processes... that's a good one.

Edited by Union_Thug, 25 March 2014 - 02:42 AM.

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:54 AM

70 is not that high mine stays high 80's into very low 90's.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

Well...aside from your being perturbed by the number of processes...what seems to wrong with the system?

If you want to review processes...you can use a tool like System Explorer or Process Explorer to manage such.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users