Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secunia

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:47 PM

Hello,

I had installed secunia but I tried to uninstall that a few days ago from the control panel and I don't see secunia there in control panel now but I do see the program file in the notification tray as psi_tray.exe and beside that says you have a program that requires manuel something can't read the rest on that.

My guess is the secunia did not uninstall completely.

any suggestions on that?

I have run a scan using super anti spyware nothing came up on the scan.

Thankyou for reading,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

Not sure why you want to remove Secunia. We recommend folks use it and even provide this topic: How to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs using Secunia Personal Software Inspector

If you're concerned about Secunia running at startup...you can disable that feature and use it when you want. To do that open Secunia and select the settings tab. Then clear the checkmark next to Start the Secunia PSI on boot.

Anyway, the correct way to remove most programs is from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Control Panel.

Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable and follow these instructions for using it. Revo provides a listing of all installed software by installation date and when removing a program, Revo does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

Keep in mind that not all programs show up in Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features. Some will have their own uninstaller, which can be found in the program's folder. This is by design as some vendors write installation routines so their program will not be included in the Add/Remove list. If the program is not listed in Add/Remove or Programs and Features, look for an uninstall icon (shortcut) from within its program group. Click on Start > All Programs (or Program Files), look for the program folder by name and use the program's uninstaller.

C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

OK the info that you supplied is great info

I just thought the secunia was going to mess up my pc is all and that is why I wanted to get rid of that but if that is not a problem then I'am not to worried but I will take a look at the info that you sent in your reply.

Thankyou for assisting me in my problems you have been so wonderful.

Have a great night.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

You're welcome.

#5 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

Not sure why you want to remove Secunia. We recommend folks use it and even provide this topic: How to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs using Secunia Personal Software Inspector

If you're concerned about Secunia running at startup...you can disable that feature and use it when you want. To do that open Secunia and select the settings tab. Then clear the checkmark next to Start the Secunia PSI on boot.

Anyway, the correct way to remove most programs is from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Control Panel.

Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable and follow these instructions for using it. Revo provides a listing of all installed software by installation date and when removing a program, Revo does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

Keep in mind that not all programs show up in Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features. Some will have their own uninstaller, which can be found in the program's folder. This is by design as some vendors write installation routines so their program will not be included in the Add/Remove list. If the program is not listed in Add/Remove or Programs and Features, look for an uninstall icon (shortcut) from within its program group. Click on Start > All Programs (or Program Files), look for the program folder by name and use the program's uninstaller.

C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI

Ok if you do not mind I ask you this as I don't know as much as you do but you mentioned the portable revo, what is the difference in the portable and the regular if there is a regular revo.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

Portable programs are in zipped file format and require no installation. You just extract (unzip) the file into a folder and its ready to use. You can even place a portable on a usb drive.

I generally recommend using zipped versions of a product because they are stand-alone applications that do not bundle or install anything else.

#7 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

Ok so the portable is the way to go on my windows 7?

If so, then I will do the portable way.

Thankyou a bunch. :clapping:

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:36 PM

You're welcome.

#9 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

Hello

I installed the REVO and tried to uninstall java but still gave the same error message, any how can revo remain on my pc or should I uninstall that?

Which is best to leave it there or not and how bout secunia is that O.K. to leave it on my PC or uninstall?

Thankyou

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

I would leave Revo on your machine. I use it all the time instead of Windows Add/Remove or Programs and Features. Revo provides a listing of all installed software by installation date and when removing a program, Revo does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

As for removing Java...
Please Try Oracles Java Uninstaller Tool
Information about the Java Uninstall Tool for Windows
Verify Java and Uninstall Out-of-Date Versions
How to Completely Remove Java Using JavaRa

#11 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

I would leave Revo on your machine. I use it all the time instead of Windows Add/Remove or Programs and Features. Revo provides a listing of all installed software by installation date and when removing a program, Revo does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

As for removing Java...
Please Try Oracles Java Uninstaller Tool
Information about the Java Uninstall Tool for Windows
Verify Java and Uninstall Out-of-Date Versions
How to Completely Remove Java Using JavaRa

Ok I will try to run Javara and hope that works this time.

Thankyou very much

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

Not a problem....good luck.