Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card went POP!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aod_

aod_

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

A couple of caps on my video card went pop yesterday. It all seemed to carry on working but I powered it off anyway.

Ive read these cards are known to blow caps, but im a little concerned as to why it happened, and if the PSU had a part to play.

I built the pc in 2008 so its not new, but still decent.

The video card was an inno3d geforce 7600 GST
The PSU is a Coolermaster RP-550-PCAA-E2

Do you think I should be concerned about the psu, and if so what's a good replacement?

Intel core2quad q6700
4gb ram
Budget/Mid range gpu
2 or 3 Sata hard disks
2 dvdr
Multi card reader

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

The usual reason why a Capacitor pops is that it wasn't a good quality part to start with. There are some brands that are just junk. Some where it depends on the model of the capacitor and sometime even a brand know for good capacitors has defects.

I would just replace the card and not worry about it. If the computer is one that was built to order and not a name brand the chances are that voltage readings can be viewed in the Bios Setup section.

Or You can go here http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

SpeedFan is a program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor chips. SpeedFan can even access S.M.A.R.T. info and show hard disk temperatures. SpeedFan supports SCSI disks too. SpeedFan can even change the FSB on some hardware (but this should be considered a bonus feature). SpeedFan can access digital temperature sensors and can change fan speeds accordingly, thus reducing noise. SpeedFan works fine with Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, Windows 7, 2008, Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012. It works with Windows 64 bit too.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 March 2014 - 04:44 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users