Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I lost my directory structure on an external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chic Bowdrie

Chic Bowdrie

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

It should be a simple problem to fix.  I was trying to download a portable program to an external drive (Seagate Free Agent).  I tried to make a new folder on the fly and XP wouldn't allow it.  I got stuck in some kind of loop trying unsuccessfully to name the folder and then cancel took me back to rename again.  Finally I cancelled the download, but folders on the external harddrive were gone.  The disk still shows 100+ GB used out of 250GB total.  I see recommendations for Recuva and Testdisk as good for file recovery.  But I didn't delete any files and nothing has been written to the disk yet.  Are either of these programs best to restore the folder and file directories?  Or maybe some other fix.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chic Bowdrie

Chic Bowdrie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

Ok this is in the wrong forum.  Any way to move it to XP?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users